X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DRP with VM Tech ?

Hi Guys
    we are going to start a DRP project based on NetApp and VM Machines
    the idea is to have 2 netapp machines , one in IL and one in US that will sync their data via snap mirror.

for worse case senario we were thinking of having a VM machine that will be a copy of the physical machine sitting in the remote site (using p2v or alike to move it over) and then incase of a problem we bring it up and attach it to the correct drive sitting on the closets netapp , so for example if the exchange server fails in IL , we bring the vmware of the exchange we did to live (using the vmware server loaded on a deticated server in NY) and map it to the local copy of the data located on the NY netapp -- does it sounds like a good idea ??

will it work ? or we will have to think about something else , the idea is not to spend 2 much time or $

10x,
    Haim

Re: DRP with VM Tech ?

Hi Haim,

This sounds like a great concept. VMware is an excellent solution for DR.

Let me ask a few questions just to see if they might help you think of some things:
    Are you going to use VMware ESX server or the free VMware Server? It has a number of features concerning high availability and management that might be helpful as the number of servers grow.
    Do you have enough bandwidth between the primary and secondary sites to sync the data? You may want to only sync the changes to the vmware disk, and not have to copy the entire virtual disk each night.

Otherwise, sounds like an excellent concept.

Thanks for your post,
    David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
    Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training
    TrainSignalTraining.com - Free IT Training Products
    Personal Websites: HappyRouter.com & VMwareVideos.com

Comment

Hi,
      Thanks for getting back to me

the idea is not to spend to much money on all this .. so I would start with the free server ...
      I have enough bandwith , but the question is what is the recommended mehtod to do it ?

Haim

Comment

I would say to do the following (just one option)-
        use vmware server
        with a script, shutdown all servers
        take a snapshot with your netapp
        Use some kind of netapp application to sync the snapshot from one SAN to the other SAN on the other side (alternatively, you could copy the data or use some other kind of data sync application - lots of options)

When a disaster occurs, on the other side, import those servers to Vmware and start them. You would probably have to change their IP addresses as they are probably on a new subnet. Make sure that all Windows infrastructure services are available at the DR site as well - DNS, AD, DHCP, (other AD roles)

Just some thoughts...

Anyone else?

Hope that helps,

Comment

I have Snap Mirror , so all data will be replicated on block level between the 2 NAS
          the questions that comes up are

- if I use something like p2v will the SID for the new VM machine remain the same ?

- will I be able to connect the VM machine to the NAS via the Iscasi initiator ?

many thanks dude
          Haim

Comment

Hi Haim,

Oh, I see, so the source machines won't be virtualized... Hmm, yes, you could try to script some kind of P2V each night to image them but P2V isn't really designed to do nightly - only once. You may run into some issues.

It would be best if you could virtualize all the machines. That would be ideal but I know that things aren't always ideal when it comes to technology.

If the applications were designed in such a way that the data on the SAN was the only data needed, that would be helpful. What I am thinking is- you have virtual machines up and running all the time, with the apps installed on them but not have the SAN data mounted. When you have a disaster, you have your SAN data synced, and you mount the data on the SAN on your virtual machines.... Just an idea.

Hmm, connecting a virtual machine with iscsi. Really, as long as the physical machine sees these NAS drives as drive letters, you can tell vmware to mount your virtual machines on those drive letters. This should work even though the drive letters really aren't on the physical host - as far as I know. I haven't tried it with iscsi but it works with SAN drives - which should be the same thing. So, yes, this should work.

I think that this is something that you and someone who is knowledgeable about all the data for the apps should sit down and brainstorm - what is the quickest and easiest way to get the data up on these apps on the other side. Virtualization should be able to make it much easier!

Hope that helped,

Comment

Working...
            X