Will one processor do it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will one processor do it?

I want to set up a VM server (ESX or VMWare). I want to have 4 or 5 virtual PC's (Windows XP) on it. The PC's will be for some Delphi programmers that I have inhouse and from what I hear, their compiling is very CPU intensive. I have a Dell 2850 that has 4 Gb of RAM and one 3.6 GHz Xeon processor.

I understand that XP VMs will only run on a single processor box but I don't want to go out and by server licenses for each user just to be able to use a beefier box.

Thank you
    Thank you,

Marc

Re: Will one processor do it?

Well, I think your box will handle 4 or 5 copies of XP under VMWare - performance will not be great but better than terrible.

You DO KNOW that a Dell 2850 has 2 processor slots (at least) built in as standard don't you? All you need to do is buy another processor. I never heard that XP VM's will only run on a single processor box; I thought VMWare allowed you to tell the virtual machine how many processors it has...

Second thing, what Host OS are you running on the 2850? Because I don't know if VMWare Workstation will run on a Server OS - you might have to buy ESX which is a LOT more expensive, and needs a MUCH more powerful box.

but I don't want to go out and by server licenses for each user just to be able to use a beefier box.
    I don't understand this quote at all.
    Last edited by Stonelaughter; 11th January 2007, 17:10.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
      You DO KNOW that a Dell 2850 has 2 processor slots (at least) built in as standard don't you? All you need to do is buy another processor.
      Remember and try to get the same stepping code as your existing CPU though

Comment

According to vmware, You can only run XP as a guest OS on a box with 1 processor.

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_systems_guide.pdf

Am I reading this wrong? If I want all of my virt. machines to be XP, I need to use one processor.

So, if I want to use a dual (or more) processor, I need to use some other OS than XP, meaning Server. That is what I meant about going and buying server licenses.

If I am wrong, and you can put XP on a multi-processor box, that would make my day.
        Last edited by tnshurtm; 11th January 2007, 18:13. Reason: added content
        Thank you,

Marc

Comment

Originally posted by tnshurtm View Post
          According to vmware, You can only run XP as a guest OS on a box with 1 processor.

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_systems_guide.pdf

Am I reading this wrong? If I want all of my virt. machines to be XP, I need to use one processor.

So, if I want to use a dual (or more) processor, I need to use some other OS than XP, meaning Server. That is what I meant about going and buying server licenses.

If I am wrong, and you can put XP on a multi-processor box, that would make my day.
          That is incorrect, trust me I have 3x DL850's with Quad CPU's and have multiple XP VM's running on them.

I think it's basically saying that you can only run the VM with 1 proc assigned (i.e. you cannot have a dual Proc XP VM), but multiple XP VM's will run a hell of a lot better of a dual proc host.

Topper
          * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

I can confirm what topper said. We are running two XP SP2 and one Windows 2000 Professional VMs alongside each other using VMware Server 1.0.1 on a two CPU system and had no issues whatsoever. Performance is very good (see for yourself at LINK REMOVED BY MOD) Of course, each Windows session gets to see one emulated processor only.

pollyx
            LINK REMOVED BY MOD

*EDIT*

The first link had nothing to do with the question at hand.

The second link was for a web hosting site which i am presumiing id your site. If you wish to advertise this then please speak to Daniel Petri about this.
            Last edited by wullieb1; 12th February 2007, 10:39. Reason: removed links

Comment

If you are concerned with having to buy a Windows Server license for the HOST machine, a great way around this would be to use Linux as the HOST OS.

You could then run multiple Windows XP workstations under VMware server. Linux is fully supported as a HOST OS. Each guest would have 1 virtual proc and the HOST system would benefit from 2 CPUs but you would try it with 1 and see how your performnace is.

Let us know how it goes!

Thanks
              David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
              Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training
              TrainSignalTraining.com - Free IT Training Products
              Personal Websites: HappyRouter.com & VMwareVideos.com

Comment

If you set up ESX, of course, there is NO host OS... ESX is installed on an empty box and is the only OS the box needs. Virtual machines run under ESX directly.

Tom
                For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by tnshurtm View Post
                  This means that each XP machine will onyl be able to run on one processor, ie they do not support SMP. However if you start up two XP VMs on a dual processor box then you may well end up with each one machine per processor, this can be overrided by using processor affinity settings, but why would you want to do that?

Each XP VM will be assigned to a particular processor when it is booted up, this association is re-evaluated every 20 ms (on average) and could easily be switched to a different processor to balance out the loads.

I hope this helps clarify the situation.

Comment

Working...
                  X