Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMware Converter 3

Hello all,

With great pleasure, thanks and appreciation to the big heart VMWare, I would like to introduce us to another excellent application: VMware Converter 3

The name speaks itself. VMare Converter converts Physical to Virtual Machines, Virtual machines to virtual machines. This brings virtualization technology to another level as it encourages businesses to speed up in the move to virtualization technology to utilize and save on hardware cost. Please download a copy of VMWare Converter 3 Beta and explore yourself.

Regards,
    Teamwork

Re: VMware Converter 3

Thanks bro, looks great. Did you test it yourself?
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Hello Daniel,

I just did it this morning. I converted a physical Dell PE 2950 2U server into a virtual one "on the fly". Here's the screenshot as it finished.

VMWare converter can operate in two modes: hot (on the fly) and cold (bootcd)

VMWare converter can also convert image files from third party software like: Symantec Ghost, Live Image or Virtual Server, PC Image into VMWare image. I am very impressed. As I perform more challenged tasks, I'll post additional finding in the future threads.

Regards,
      Teamwork

Comment

Cool! How many reboots of the old machine did it take? How long did it take?
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Hello Daniel,

It took one reboot for the old system and about an hour and 1/2 for a 20 GB data (1st screenshot).

Below is the screenshot of converting a .vhd into .vmdk; it took 5 mins for 5.5 GB of data (MS virtual hard drive R2 with SQL server 2005).

Everything works excellent. There was a little problem with the mouse (left and right handed, easy fix). Thanks again VMWare.

Regards,
          Teamwork

Comment

Working...
          X