• Question: vmware guest os is booting from pxe server and gets stuck

Hi

i have installed the freeware vmware server 1.0.1 build 29996
    on
    windows xp sp2 full updated
    1GB mem
    AMD athlon 3700+ 64bit

ok ill start my question

if i am taking a normal desktop (no vm) and i boot from pxe i get a list with OS that i can choose to install and i can install them with no problem... windows and linux etc

ok now i start my new created vm and i boot from the network (pxe) i get the OS list from the pxe server and i choose something that i have tested on the normal desktop and works but on the VM it get stuck... i see that its getting a ip from the DHCP server and its going to the installation screen but after 20 seconds... its just hangs...

some tips where to start trouble shooting?

thanks
    MCSE 2000 Done
    RHCE Done

Re: Question: vmware guest os is booting from pxe server and gets stuck

could it be that VM is emulating 32bit and you are installing 64bit...
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Just a thought but I wonder if it is a disk driver issue.

I know that I had an issue once where I had to load the disk driver manually for the operating system.

I wonder if you can load the operating system normally, off the the CD, on the local machine and see if there are any driver issues. If so, you could use the same drivers in your PXE image.

Just some thoughts...

Let us know if you have any luck.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Thanks,
      David
      David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
      Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training
      TrainSignalTraining.com - Free IT Training Products
      Personal Websites: HappyRouter.com & VMwareVideos.com

Comment

thanks for the reply's

ok i figured out with some help from a co worker that my pxe server is sending the packets to fast for the vm guest can that be? we see with ethereal that my guest is receiving packets... but my pxe server is resending and resending the same packets... and so on...

i am trying to install 32bit fedora core5 (kickstart installation its like an ready to use image with the packages you have selected...)

ill try to install the OS from the cds and ill update you...

EDIT:

ok finally i found the time

i have installed the fedora core 5 from cd's on the vm and it worked with no problems a little slow was the installation but it worked with no errors...

so i still did not have any direction where to start the pxe installation problem to the vm becouse on real hardware it works with no problem... and on vm it gets stuck... and the packets gets resend... if i find something ill post it here

thanks
        Yaniv F

thanks
        Last edited by yaniv; 1st November 2006, 20:24.
        MCSE 2000 Done
        RHCE Done

Comment

Working...
        X