Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows network based on VMWare Server

Hi.

I am planning to establish network in place i work using VMWare Server. In attachment is schematic presentation of my idea. I need some professional advices from anyone who think can help me.

Hardware:
    HP Server ML 350 Generation 5
    2 x 2.0GHZ 5130 Xeon CPU,
    4 x GB Ram
    1 x 36 GB SAS HDD - System
    4 x 160HDD Raid for Virtual Machines
    1 x 4Pt GB Nic HP PCIx
    2 x GB Nick OnBoard
    Windows 2003 Standard Edt.
    VMWare Server

1. Isa Server Will handle all traffic from internet to inside network which will be divided in 3 physical and some virtual LAN segments. I tried this in lab environment and it worked great, but i am not sure how will function when applying in real (over 200 users and computers).

2. I plan to add all servers in virtual lan, dividing from other segments.

3. All servers to be installed in VMWare Server (free version - windows)

4. Plan to start maximum 10 Virtual Machines in hardware I described. I am sure it will handle it without problem.

5. I have 2 internet connections from 2 different ISP. Plan to use Mikrotik (virtual) for Load Balance and Fail Over.

These are my plann about new network. I will be thankful for advice and comments.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by arberibrahimi; 5th October 2006, 22:02.
    Arber I. Ibrahimi

Re: Windows network based on VMWare Server

Hi arberibrahimi,

So the ISA server will be its own server, right? (not a virtual server) That is how it should be. To support 200 users, I would make sure that the ISA server is a dual processor.

As far as running 10 VM's on a single server with VMware Server, I think that is really pushing it in a production environment. I would watch the performance a resource utilization as you add servers on that machine very closely.

How will you choose the best path between your two ISP's? Is one primary and the other backup? So would ISA have a default route to one ISP's router and a backup default route to another ISP's router or would you run a routing protocol between the ISA server and the routers that go to your ISP's?

If you have issues along the way that come up, feel free to post em' here and myself or someone else will be glad to offer suggestions.

This sounds like an interesting project, best of luck to you,
    David
    David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
    Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training
    TrainSignalTraining.com - Free IT Training Products
    Personal Websites: HappyRouter.com & VMwareVideos.com

Comment

First I am very thankful daviddavis for your advices and comments. I posted this before five days and there were no replays long time.

At the moment we have network using ISA 2000 (in Pentium IV 2.0 with 512 MB Ram handling about 140 users and computers) Firewall with two physical segments and Windows 2000 Domain Controller. New network will be build step by step by moving departments one by one to new network (new domain, new ISA server as firewall and router and new planed physical segments) so I will always keep controlling my hardware to se if it will handle virtual machines I plan to install. I have 2 of those ML 350 ready for implementation so I’ll move Virtual Machines if it is needed. I will also post my test results during implementation to see how will VMWare Server work and how much load can handle hardware I use, so it will be useful to others.

I plan to use ISA server (virtual) in same hardware (HP ML350) with domain controller, exchange server and/or 2 (one per ISP) mikrotik router OS. If there is still resource I will push hardware in max load to test it.

About internet connection, I think I will use 2 mikrotik routers (virtual) configured using VRRP which is good solution or RainFinity RainConnect & RainWall for ISA Server to provide load balance and failover. I did not decide yet which is best. Probably I will decide during test phase.

I believe ISA server can handle planed traffic in virtual environment, but not 100% sure. I tested it in lab with 50 users in Pentium IV 3.0GHz / 512GB Ram (virtual) and worked perfect for 2 months). As I know ISA server licences are effected by number of CPU so VMWare adjusts performance of more than one cpu/core and virtual machine recognizes it as one CPU so it is cheaper solution I think.

(I plan to implement all this in next 4 months.)
      Last edited by arberibrahimi; 10th October 2006, 22:38.
      Arber I. Ibrahimi

Comment

Sounds like a cool project, Thanks for the update, let us know how it works out!

David
        David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
        Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training
        TrainSignalTraining.com - Free IT Training Products
        Personal Websites: HappyRouter.com & VMwareVideos.com

Comment

Hi arberibrahimi,

It will be a great project once you implemented and it's really will reduce the TCO. But one thing in my mind that why you don't use ESX Infrastrcture 3.0 instaed of the free version of Virtual Server?

Why I'm saying that is becuase the VMWare Virtual Server is requires a Host OS the Host OS will require C.P.U utlization higher than the ESX uses as well as RAM Utlization will be reduce with ESX Infrastrcure. And then have a Management Machine to manage the whole VMWARE Storage. With ESX even if you give your ISA 2006 256 MB RAM also will function smoothly without any problems. So, reduce RAM and C.P.U utlization is most important in Virtualization.

And since you have 2 ML 350 Servers, you can go wil ESX as VMotion, incase of the main system Fail, withins minutes are back online without any problem.

Hope will help.

Habibalby
          ================================
          HND: Higher National Diploma in
          Computer Science(IT)

Passed:
          MCSA+Security 2003, VCP3, VCP4
          Done:VMware DSA
          ================================[/COLOR]

Comment

Thank You Habibalby for comments and your advice.

There are two reasons why i use free version of VMWare. Because of limited budget and i am not good enought in Linux so i am a fraid of any serios problems in the future. I understand that host OS (win 2k3 entp edt) will use some resorces, but i feel more secure.

I was reading also about Windows 2003 Entp. Edt. that alows to install 1 x physical and 4 x virtual servers using one licence.

I still have time to decide untill my servers arive.

Thank you again.
            Last edited by arberibrahimi; 23rd October 2006, 11:45.
            Arber I. Ibrahimi

Comment

Hi arberibrahimi,

Well that's a good reason to keep you to use the free version of VmWare.

All the best for your project.

BR,

Habibalby
              ================================
              HND: Higher National Diploma in
              Computer Science(IT)

Passed:
              MCSA+Security 2003, VCP3, VCP4
              Done:VMware DSA
              ================================[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...