Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtual machine maintenance

Hallo everyone,

I am having a problem with renewing a bunch of virtual machine accounts in Active Directory.

The environment is used for software testing and constitutes images with Exchange, Citrix, AD, Win2000, XP, 2003, applications, antivirus, ...

Not all images are used constantly. Images are brought alive as customer needs arise.

I am new to the system admin world so I am quite puzzled as to how such an environment could me maintained easiest.

There are 8 PCs with +- 4 images each.
    Two DCs in main domain and two DCs in sub-domain.

The biggest problem is the expiration of machine accounts after 999 days. What is the most intelligent way of managing this issue? Are there any tutorials, examples .. out there?

How is this problem solved usually?

Kind regards
    Wolfhard Aring
    Brussels, Belgium
    Quality Assurance Engineer

Re: Virtual machine maintenance

Hi wolfhard
    Thanks for your post!
    This sounds like a general Windows server issue - machine accounts expiring.
    I didn't know that machine accounts expired but I bet there is someone around here with more knowledge than us on that.

Is there a Windows server expert "in the house" (on the Petri Forums) that can tell us how to modify the account expiration for machine accounts?

Thanks to anyone who might be able to help us over here in the vmware forum!

David
    David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
    Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training
    TrainSignalTraining.com - Free IT Training Products
    Personal Websites: HappyRouter.com & VMwareVideos.com

Comment

I'm not familiar with the machine account expiring but are you talking about the password?

http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window....mspx?mfr=true
      Regards,
      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Yes, your link is spot on. This is indeed what I am talking about.

the situation is as follows:

in a software development environment new releases need to be tested against customer system configurations. Aswell as support cases need to be handled for old software versions.
        To make life easier, configurations are saved using VMWare images which are then zipped and stored.
        As the life cycle of a specific version can exceed 999 days (max for w2k3 domains) it will no longer be possible to add the machines on which these installations were made to the domain as their machine accounts would have expired.

My question was if there exists an easy way to keep these machines alive?

Thanks again
        Kind regards
        Wolfhard

Comment

In a general Windows Server Environment, one that is always alive, the machines are able to renew their accounts when needed.

Needless to say, when the machine is zipped as a VMWare image this is not possible. And the clock just keeps ticking away

Comment

The title of the link that I posted is Disable machine account password changes. If you configure this GPO setting your computer account passwords should never expire.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Try using NETDOM command. It can solve your problem by creating adequate scritp to keep your sleaping vmwares alive in domain.

or

DSMOD to change computer account status (enabled/disable)

(I did not test it, i just have read about it. Not sure if is going to help)
              Arber I. Ibrahimi

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the issue is that the computer account gets disabled. It's that the computer account's password expires and the computer didn't update it's password because it wasn't online. When the password has expired, it can't change its password because it cannot authenticate in AD.
                Regards,
                Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Correct! The machine account passwords will no longer be valid because they were never renewed. Thus the machine is no longer able to authenticate itself to the AD.

Try using NETDOM command. It can solve your problem by creating adequate scritp to keep your sleaping vmwares alive in domain.
                  or
                  DSMOD to change computer account status (enabled/disable)
                  http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window....mspx?mfr=

This looks great, thanks.
                  Is this an acceptable strategy? What do other people do? I can not imagine that I am the only one with this problem.

Thanks a lot for your help.
                  Kind regards
                  Wolfhard

Comment

I want to say Thanks to JeremyW and Arberibrahimi for all their assistance on this one!

THANKS!
                    David
                    David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
                    Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training
                    TrainSignalTraining.com - Free IT Training Products
                    Personal Websites: HappyRouter.com & VMwareVideos.com

Comment

Working...
                    X