Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to create virtual LAB

Hi Friends,

I am willing to create a virtual Active Directory/ Exchange Server LAB for practice.

RAM 8GB.
    O.S Windows 7.
    Virtual machine Software: Virtual box/ Vm Ware.

Please give your suggestion how to creation Virtual LAB. Basically i required the configuration. My questions are.

1. How many VM's should i create.
    2. Were should be my DNS/DHCP/AD servers. etc......
    3. In short Virtual LAB setup for Active Directory/ Exchange Server practice.

Suggestions are highly appreciated

Re: Need to create virtual LAB

more RAM. Even for a test lab.
    You want to give 2GB to each server at a minimum (2012 may need more, i dont recall off the top of my head)
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

You only need 1 DC/DNS server. You don't (or shouldn't) need a DHCP server.

I've run a test lab of one DC, one CAS server and one mailbox database server on a Hyper-V host with 8GB of RAM but it runs terribly slow.

Comment

Another thought - Exchange 2010 and 2013 are 64-bit only so you will need to make sure your virtualisation platform supports 64-bit guest OSes - this will certainly require WIn7x64.

I would seriously consider making the host run (free) HyperV Server 2008R2 or 2012, then using a cheap machine to control it remotely.

As said - More RAM, Igor, and also consider disk speed as that has a major effect on VM performance.
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi all,

Can you all share the ideal virtual lab setup to practice AD/Exchange? Please.

Thanks in advance.

With regards,
          Sayed Tahzeeb H

Comment

Ideal (for exchange 2010)
            2xDC
            2xMBX server (DAG)
            2xCAS server (CAS array)
            2xHT server
            1xET (in DMZ)
            1 x TMG
            SCCM / SCOM / SCDPM servers for management

Look at 16 processor cores and about 96Gb RAM

Exchange 2013 will be slightly different (no HTs)
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks Ossian, I want this setup on my desktop for learning purpose.

Comment

That's fine - it will require a moderately powerful desktop PC
                Licensing costs may also be an issue as you are too late for TechNet Plus
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

can you not get 180 day Eval trials still ?
                  Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Probably...
                    Could you learn everything you need in 180 days?
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

Hibernate the VMs at the end of your learning period. I had a 30 day SBS2003 last for over 18 months and it told me it had only been running for 2 days. might be worth a try to "extend" the time period.
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                        Probably...
                        Could you learn everything you need in 180 days?
                        I suspect the question is "could OP learn everything they need in 180 days" :P

Comment

yea not enough ram at all. 2012 is very greedy, especially once you put exchange on it and so on.
                          We normally put 16GB on a 2012 DC. Anything below 10GB will not run well at all.
                          Unlike the days of 2003 where you could run it on 2GB with no problem.
                          David Silvester
                          Systems Administrator

Comment

David, keep in mind this is a training VM lab and not a production one so RAM requirements can be reduced. At present I am running a Server 2008 R2 VM and Hyper-V MMC tells me it is using 788MB RAM. Another one running a single application is using 369MB.

A clean Server 2012 R2 with nothing installed or Roles added is chugging along on 327MB. While RAM is King on VMs, it really doesn't matter if the "systems" run a tad slow. It is the learning process that is more important at this stage, IMO.
                            1 1 was a racehorse.
                            2 2 was 1 2.
                            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by davids355 View Post
                              yea not enough ram at all. 2012 is very greedy, especially once you put exchange on it and so on.
                              We normally put 16GB on a 2012 DC. Anything below 10GB will not run well at all.
                              Unlike the days of 2003 where you could run it on 2GB with no problem.
                              I've spooled up numerous 2012 VMs with a whole heap less RAM than that.

As Biggles says just because you assign 16GB or RAM doesn't mean that the server will use it all. In fact the only servers that we have at the moment that will consume as much memory as we can throw at it are our SQL boxes.

DC's and the like you can sit at 1GB or memory, yes even in production, if you want.

Comment

Working...
                              X