No announcement yet.

Recover Data

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recover Data

Hi ,

We are using windows 7 professional and install Microsoft virtual xp mode in it. It is creating 2 files .vhd and .vmc file in its data directory. Now one of my pc's hard drive is crashed but we are able to restore those 2 files from that pc.

Now i have install OS windows 7 and install microsoft virtual xp mode and put those old files in the same location but its not showing the data inside. I tried to convert that vhd file using vmware converter and boot that virtual machine but still not showing any data inside. I tried to right click and map it in windows 8 system but still not showinng my data which was there in microsoft xp mode. I even try to import using Hyper V but was allowing me in hyper v. So can anyone tell me how to recover the data from that vhd and vmc file. Is there any other way ..

please help me..

Re: Recover Data

So basically you have tried a random selection of things in the vain hope that one of them works...

The VMC file is the virtual machine settings and can be ignored.
    For the VHD file, did you have the "undo disks" option enabled? If so, you will need the VHD AND the Undo Disks (.VUD files) plus possibly the saved states.

IIRC Windows 7 allows you to mount a VHD or an Undo Disk in Computer Management, but after all your conversions you may not be able to.

As an option you could try creating a new Virtual Machine (VPC) and pointing it at the existing VHD file.

Of course, you should be able to restore from backup, but I assume that is a completely foreign concept
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **