Reduce fixed .vhd size?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reduce fixed .vhd size?

I would like to reduce the size of my .vhd from 128GB to 64GB.

I am running WIN 7 Pro with Windows Virtual PC. I have a 232GB drive with 190GB used and 128GB of this is my .vhd. I am only using 8GB of the 128GB .vhd.

To change the size, I suspect I will have to move my data from the virtual drive, uninstall and reinstall the XP Mode to set it up with a fixed 64GB size, reinstall all the XP software and move the data back.

Please tell me if this is true and, even better, if there is way to reduce the .vhd to a fixed 64GB without all the software uninstalling / reinstalling.

Thanks, David

Re: Reduce fixed .vhd size?

Well, there are few ways to do that:
    - create a new VHD file and clone to it the existing VHD (with tools like Ghost, Acronis and so on);
    - use the VHD Resizer tool on the existing VHD.

Few questions:
    - if you're using only 8GB (at least at the moment), why create a 64GB fixed-size disk? It will still waste 8 times space more than needed?
    - any particular reason you're not working with dynamically-expanding disk? Sounds to me much more appropriate ...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Re: Reduce fixed .vhd size?

Originally posted by DavidMorris View Post
      I would like to reduce the size of my .vhd from 128GB to 64GB.

I am running WIN 7 Pro with Windows Virtual PC. I have a 232GB drive with 190GB used and 128GB of this is my .vhd. I am only using 8GB of the 128GB .vhd.

To change the size, I suspect I will have to move my data from the virtual drive, uninstall and reinstall the XP Mode to set it up with a fixed 64GB size, reinstall all the XP software and move the data back.

Please tell me if this is true and, even better, if there is way to reduce the .vhd to a fixed 64GB without all the software uninstalling / reinstalling.

Thanks, David
      Do not consider compacting the VHD using the Virtual PC virtual hard disk modify utility. it will make very little difference to the VHD size, even if you precompact using a utility like the Virtual PC 2007 precompactor iso.

However, if you convert a virtual disk image to a .wim file, it will not only ignore certain big, recreatable files like pagefile.sys, hiberfil.sys and all your old restore points, it will also compress it considerably. You should then be able to restore the image to your newly created empty smaller VHD. Lots of information and downloadable tools and stuff if you google for phrases like:

wim2vhd
      vhd to wim
      imagex
      WAIK

It's all surprisingly fast too, considering the amount of data processed.

I am sure there are other cloning diskimage tools, like Acronis, Easeus etc that will do a similar job.

Comment

Working...
      X