VS bandwidth limitations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VS bandwidth limitations

Is it ok to use virtualization in a 10/100 network environment or would it be wise to only use with gigabit? Thanks.

Re: VS bandwidth limitations

Doesnt really make a difference -- it is host processing power and RAM that are the significant factors.
    If you can access your physical machines OK, it will be the same with virtual ones
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

OK, thanks. I just thought if you had 6 VS on one box with 10/100 it would be sluggish if data was being accessed from each VS at the same time. I am really new to this.

Comment

Since VS emulates an Intel 21140 NIC the point you raise is mute since this is a 10/100 adapter. A Gigabit NIC will not make it move data any quicker.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

The network can become a real pain in the a** and an annoying bottleneck under certain conditions.
          From the (too little ) info you gave, 6 VMs and the host on a 10/100 Mbps NIC is clearly an invitation for trouble.
          If you want a better reply, please post ALL the info relevant for your case...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

Nicely spotted Sorin. Missed the meaning of the post totally; DUH me!! Click image for larger version

Name:	booboo.gif
Views:	2
Size:	2.2 KB
ID:	464558
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
              Nicely spotted Sorin. Missed the meaning of the post totally; DUH me!! [ATTACH]4264[/ATTACH]
              Don't mention it ... It happens to the best of us

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
              -

Comment

Working...
              X