Trouble with installing new OS in VPC 2007

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble with installing new OS in VPC 2007

I have an issue with installing Win XP Pro SP 3 and Win Serv 2003 in VPC.

I have two legitimate .iso files and when I go to "CD->Capture ISO Image->Reset" to begin installation, nothing happens, I just get the blinking white underscore, and yes, I tried pressing enter or other keys to see if it would start, but it just sits there.

I created a .vhd for each one and increased the memory for both to 512MB.

I even tried mounting the .iso on a disc and tried using my physical drive, still will not work. The .iso images were downloaded off of my school's server, so I know they can not be corrupted, but in the mean time I will re-download the files (which will take some time...)

Am I missing something here? The directing from others websites were pretty straight forward, and I don't consider myself a novice user, but not advanced as well. Any help and quick replies would be greatly appreciated.

-Jacob

Re: Trouble with installing new OS in VPC 2007

I should probably also note that I am running Win 7 Pro 32bit w/ 3GB of RAM

Comment

I am pretty new to networking, but have also been using VPC a lot lately. I'm not sure about ISO files, but sometimes when I try to install win xp and server 03 evaluation copies, it will take awhile to read the cd. It will say "insert cd and press any key to continue" and after insertion, it would search and search and then prompt me again. I found out that by just pressing enter, then waiting a little while until it prompted me again and after hitting enter again and continuing that process, it would eventually read the cd and start the installation process.

I've never had to wait much longer than a few minutes though.

Comment

What is your boot order in the VM's BIOS?
        Do you have any bootable CD around, to test the configuration with it?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

After doing some further digging and collaborating with my other peers, the operating systems we received would not boot at all for anyone, not even nativity, so i dug up one of my old Win XP discs and had no problem with installation in VPC. How my university managed to give us an OS that won't boot is beyond me.

It was only a matter of time before I tried one of my old boot discs.

Lesson learned, don't trust university downloads, and try EVERY option before going to the forums, even if you think that is not the issue.

Thank you everyone for the looks and the posts.

My question is now answered.

Thank You

Comment

Working at a University myself, one of the things I can think of is that you received an Upgrade version of the OS. Meaning, you should start the installation process from within an existing operating system. Therefore, the disk has no need to be bootable (more than that, this is the way to ensure you cannot do a fresh install from it).
            But that's only an after-thought.
            I am glad you found the source of the problem.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

Comment

Speak to the IT team too.
              I suspect the downloads are part of the academic msdn subscription, which should work the same way as normal msdn or technet and allow you to mount them as a CD within VPC and then install off them. Sounds as if the Uni is having problems so the CompSci dept or IT support should fix it for you
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
              X