Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help copying files from Windows XP base machine to Windows 7 Virtual PC

Hello all,
    I am a newbie here; and perhaps like you all, a desperate problem has brought me here.
    I am running Windows 7 on virtual PC and to perform certain tasks, I am simply trying to drag and drop some files from my base Windows XP machine to the Windows 7 Virtual PC.
    However, it doesn't seem to work.
    I have tried:
    - drag and drop
    - copy and paste
    - Installing virtual machine additions
    - rebooting the computer

None seem to help. Any ideas from those who have done this before or seem to know the technical reason behind it?
    Thanks in advance!

Re: Help copying files from Windows XP base machine to Windows 7 Virtual PC

Have you installed / enabled the virtual machine additions?

Edit -- sorry, I see you have installed them -- have you checked in the properties of the VM they are enabled?
    Have you rebooted your VPC since?

Have you tried reinstalling the additions?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      Have you installed / enabled the virtual machine additions?

have you checked in the properties of the VM they are enabled?
      Have you rebooted your VPC since?

Have you tried reinstalling the additions?

I did install my virtual machine after installing the virtual machine addition, however, it is now coming up with a blue screen of death!
      If I don't install the virtual machine addition, it runs fine. But ofcourse, there is no point if I cannot copy files into the virtual machine.

I am trying to reinstall the windows 7 on virtual PC now. Will keep you posted.
      Let me know please if you know anything about this blue screen issue.

Comment

If additions will not work, you cannot drag and drop. You must install additions AFTER installing the guest OS

How about sharing a folder on the 7 virtual machine and connecting to it on the host? (or the other way around)
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

bearebel, what I do when I install a VM is to save it to a storage location. If I need to use that VM, I Copy & Paste the VM to the location that I want to use it from. This was you only ever have to create a single VM. This way the original VM is never used except when Updating or copying to replace a borked one. Saves a crap load of time.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
            If additions will not work, you cannot drag and drop. You must install additions AFTER installing the guest OS

How about sharing a folder on the 7 virtual machine and connecting to it on the host? (or the other way around)
            Reinstalled the Windows 7 on Virtual PC; same problem reappeared!!
            Can install Additions, but after the restart, it just prompts to restore to a previous state.

Also, I tried connecting my Windows 7 to the internet by using the 'Shared NAT' network adapter (as I usually and successfully do with other Virtual Machines); but it doesn't let me connect to internet although it receives an IP by DHCP. Weird!

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
              bearebel, what I do when I install a VM is to save it to a storage location. If I need to use that VM, I Copy & Paste the VM to the location that I want to use it from. This was you only ever have to create a single VM. This way the original VM is never used except when Updating or copying to replace a borked one. Saves a crap load of time.
              Certainly. That is what I do as well. However, I cannot install 'Additions' on any of these VMs that I have copied from one single VM.

Comment

Originally posted by bearebel View Post
                Reinstalled the Windows 7 on Virtual PC; same problem reappeared!!
                Can install Additions, but after the restart, it just prompts to restore to a previous state.

Also, I tried connecting my Windows 7 to the internet by using the 'Shared NAT' network adapter (as I usually and successfully do with other Virtual Machines); but it doesn't let me connect to internet although it receives an IP by DHCP. Weird!
                Found a solution!
                It only works if Windows 7 is installed on Virtual PC SP1 !

Next problem...I need to activate this copy of Windows 7. I have the product key, but cannot connect to the Internet from Windows 7 Virtual PC. Has the IP if I use SHared NAT option, but no internet access....any clue?

Comment

Is there still a telephone activation option?
                  Tom Jones
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

Comment

Post an IPCONFIG /ALL from the Win 7 VM. Also one from the XP machine.

Where is Win 7 getting its DHCP IP from?
                    Where does the XP machine get its IP from?
                    Can you ping an IP from the Win 7 VM? eg, ping the XP IP from Win 7 then ping Win 7 from XP machine.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                    X