Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting Virtual PC Server 03 to internet

Hello,

I'm new to computing and have installed virtual pc 07 in order to do lab exercises on server 03 (I know it's old). I'm using it as a member server. I had no problems installing the server, but when it came to setting up tcp/ip, I didn't really know what to do. I just mirrored the info that I had recieved from runnning ipconfig /all on my host. I got a message saying "A static ip already exists" so I left DNS blank and now the Local Area Connection icon says "acquiring network address" and just sits there. I'm assuming this is DNS considering I had to leave it blank because of the error.

Does anybody know how to setup tcp/ip on virtual pc 07 running server 03 as a member server? If so, am I missing anything else?

Any help would really be appreciated since this seems to pretty much be step 1!
    Last edited by Feariddle; 18th July 2010, 21:37. Reason: It's a member server

Re: Connecting Virtual PC Server 03 to internet

You need to give your Virtual Machine its' own unique IP and not the same as your Physical Server. You cannot have two identical IPs the same network. Change the last octec of the VM's IP by even a single digit. eg, if the Physical Serve's IP is 192.168.0.20 change the VM to 192.168.0.21
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Also, ensure the LAN settings for the VM of Virtual PC 2007 is set to the name of the LAN adapter. You then set the DNS and gateway to the same as the host PC that your 2k3 VM is installed on.

Comment

Thanks guys,

I tried setting up tcp/ip according to your advice and I still can not get out. Pinging the Inet fails, so it could be something simpler than a DNS prob. I installed an XP client into VPC 07 and can not get out with XP either, so it's not member server specific.

I have spent a lot of time putting different IP's into tcp/ip prop trying to see what works and need to get going on some other configs, so what I did was change the VPC's network adaptor to "local only" and configured IP, mask, gateway with the exact same IP's as my host's. The only difference is that I pointed DNS to the member server's IP (same as VPC's host machine). So when I ran dcpromo, Active Dir install process didn't find a DNS server and prompted me w/ the opt to allow the installation process to install it, so I chose that. The ISP @ my old residence gave me an IP in the 192.168 range. This residence's area is 66.74 range. I wonder if that has anything to do w/ it.

Anyway, even though I haven't solved the problem (yet). Thank you guys for the advice, for it remotivated me to keep trying to solve it. Hopefully someday I can also contribute to those who are starting out.

Comment

If you VM is set to "local only" it will NOT access the internet, just share the connection with VMs running on the same host.

You will need to set it to one of the physical LAN connections, but then you will run into other DHCP and DNS issues. Since this is for training only, do you really need internet access?
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

It's for the 70-299 MS Security exam. Not sure if I'll need Inet access. There's service pack management, software update services, config and manage CA, auth for secure remote access, SSL for secure communication channels, IPSec. I was thinking that I might need Inet access to test some of the configs.

Comment

All MOC courses do not require internet access, just simulate it
              Not sure about self-paced training
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Okay, I figured out what the problem was. Just like my intuition was hinting, it had to do with that weird IP I had that was in the 66.74.0.0 network. I installed a router (wouldn't need it otherwise because I only have one desktop comp) and it turned my host XP machine's IP into the 192.168.0.0 network range (private network range), which likewise gave everything in my Virtual PC console that same IP range.

This is nice for me because I can test about 20% of the exercises I do.

Occam's razor sliced my anger.

Comment

Working...
                X