Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtual PC and Apache

Hey all,
    I'm trying to run an apache server on Virtual PC Windows XP Mode. I am able to load and run my website on Virtual PC via the virtual PC's ip address. However, I when I try to run the website from any physical pc with the exact same url, it tells me the connection has timed out.

How do I access the webpage on my virtual pc apache server from any computer?

Thanks in advance

Re: Virtual PC and Apache

Do you mean "any computer on your LAN" (check internal DNS is resolving the Virtual XP Box AND that it is set up to connect via one of the network cards on the physical PC)
    or do you mean "any computer on the internet" (check port forwarding on your router as well as the above)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I mean any computer on the internet. I've already tried to check port forwarding, but I can't access my router through the default gateway; in fact, I can't access my router at all. It just get a "problem loading page" error.

As for the internal DNS, I'm not too sure how to check that.

Comment

OK, can you access the web site from the host PC or from another PC on your LAN?
        If so, the problem is with your router configuration. If you cannot access it, consider a new router or a factory reset and reconfigure
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

The only place I can access this website on the server on the VPC is from the VPC. I cannot access it from any other computer in my LAN.

However, if I run the program on the server on my physical computer, I am able to access it from the VPC, and my laptop.

Comment

How are you trying to access it from the lan?
            I presume http:// vpcname ?
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

Yes I am, but I do not have a domain name currently I have just been trying to access the server on my VPC by it's ip address
              Like:
              http://(ip of VPC)

which works on the VPC, but not on any physical computer, not even the computer that the VPC is located on

Comment

Well, things to check:
                - by default, XP Mode uses NAT as a network connection type. This means your IP address inside the XP Mode should be 192.168.X.X. Please check that this is so and let us know;
                - PING [IP of the XP Mode machine] from another computer responds to what?
                - are your computers using IPs in the 192.168.X.X also?

With the new info, we will be able to assist more ...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                -

Comment

You should be able to use names inside your network regardless of whether you have a domain -- DNS will try broadcasts, as will NetBIOS.
                  Tom Jones
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

Comment

Yes my IP inside XP Mode is 192.168.x.x
                    My other computers IPs, however, start with 128. 233.x.x

PING with ip of the XP Mode machine results in:

Pinging 192.168.131.65 with 32 bytes of data:
                    Request timed out.
                    Request timed out.
                    Request timed out.
                    Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.131.65:
                    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

Comment

Change networking for your virtual box from NAT to sharing one of the host network cards

btw, why are you using a public network rather than a private one?
                      Tom Jones
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                        Change networking for your virtual box from NAT to sharing one of the host network cards

btw, why are you using a public network rather than a private one?
                        There are organizations that have enough IP addresses to be able to do that. Although there are some drawbacks, there are also a few advantages of using public addresses instead of private ones...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                        -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
                          There are organizations that have enough IP addresses to be able to do that. Although there are some drawbacks, there are also a few advantages of using public addresses instead of private ones...
                          Agreed, but having lots of public IPs seems unlikely in this scenario
                          Tom Jones
                          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                          IT Trainer / Consultant
                          Ossian Ltd
                          Scotland

Comment

Working...
                          X