Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I setup multiple virtual PCs all running XPM ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I setup multiple virtual PCs all running XPM ?

Hi there,
    I hope someone out there can help me.

I have just installed Windows 7 Ultimate and have partitioned it with a C and D drive. It has 8 GB RAM and 1 terabyte disk.

I want to setup 7 virtual PCs all running Windows XPM so I created 7 folders on the D drive called VM01, VM02 etc.

I can get one VM going running XPM but when I try to re-install XP Mode again I get an error saying XPM is already installed.

Anybody have any ideas ?

Thanks,
    Nick

Re: How do I setup multiple virtual PCs all running XPM ?

Use the XPMode VM as a parent for a differencing VHD
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Ossian,
      Thanks for that. I have setup a differencing VHD as the Parent in XP Mode and can open XP okay in this VPC. However when I try to add another Virtual PC (say VM01) it doesnt open in XP mode. So then I tried to do a repeat install of XPM into the new VM01 but it says that XPM has already been installed.
      I am very new to virtualisation ... is there some VIRTUALISATION FOR DUMMIES manual around which explains how to setup many VPC all running XPM ? I want to setup 8 VPCs in 1 PC all operating under XP Mode.
      Thanks,
      Nick
      Attached Files

Comment

Can you explain what happens when "it doesnt open in XP mode"
        I have multiple VMs running fine on a Win7 pro box -- they show up USB devices, which is (for me) the main feature of XP mode.
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I have attached scrren shot below ...
          Attached Files

Comment

You have things pretty mixed up there, my friend ...
            A VirtualPC virtual machine is composed of two files (the basics, things my get more complicated out there, but it is not relevant here):
            - a .VMC file, containing the VM's configuration;
            - a .VHD file, containing the VM's hard disk.
            There might be more than one VHD attached to one machine, but as I said, we'll keep things simple here.
            Now, the XPMode in Windows7 is the virtualization product itself. It cannot be installed more than once. And you don't need to install it every time you want a new VM. It's like installing Word every time you want to start a new document.
            What you need to do is to be sure you have both files available. Then, by double clicking the VMC file, you can start the VM.
            To create the VMC file, go to %USERPROFLIE%\VirtualMachines. You have there a button called "Create a new machine". During that process, you will have the ability of creating a new VHD file or use an existing one.
            Let us know how it worked out.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

Comment

Working...
            X