Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Virtual PC helper tool

Hi,

I've created a tool that helps manage Windows 7 VMs. Its biggest advantage over the Windows 7 built-in capabilities is that it can easily duplicate VMs. I've created the tool because I needed it. Therefore, it is free, lightweight, portable and open sourced. No commercial intension whatsoever.

Since I've published it other people have found it useful as well. If you're interested in such a tool, take a look at xpmore.codeplex.com.

And of course, suggestions are always welcome.

Re: Windows Virtual PC helper tool

Well, from some problems I have had, it would be very useful to be able to EASILY change the location of the parent of a differencing disk. In Virtual PC 2007 this was just a question of clicking the button and browsing, but in XPMode it seems to be a case of scripting it similar to this:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/virtual_pc_guy...-vbscript.aspx
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. From the looks of the code on VPC guy's blog, it doesn't seem to be a difficult feature to add. Will try to look into it soon, and hopefully have it added to the tool.

Comment

Just needs to be combined with a browser to pick the actual location for the parent
        Look forward to testing it out!
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Turns out there are some advantages to staying home with a sick child... I've added a "Set Parent Disk" feature, which does exactly what you asked for.

If it doesn't work as you expect it to, please let me know.
          If it works just fine, please let everyone else know...

Comment

Working...
          X