Installing Windows Server 2003 error

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Windows Server 2003 error

Hello I hope someone can help me installing windows 2003 server in Virtual PC 2007.I created new virtual machine and inserted the windows 2003 server but i got error message "PXE-E51: no DHCP or proxyDCHP offers were received".I checked my BIOS and its 1st boot CD-ROM.Im just a beginner when it comes to this.Thank you very much.

Re: Installing Windows Server 2003 error

it's trying to boot off the network interface rather than the cdrom.
    go into the bios of the virtual machine and turn off the option allowing it to boot from the network, so it only uses media.

then you should get a prompt saying no bootable device, insert media and p[rss f1 to try again

or something similar to that
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
      it's trying to boot off the network interface rather than the cdrom.
      go into the bios of the virtual machine and turn off the option allowing it to boot from the network, so it only uses media.

then you should get a prompt saying no bootable device, insert media and p[rss f1 to try again

or something similar to that

Hello thank you so much for replying to post.I did what you said In my BIOS theres 4 boot device 1st boo(CD-ROM) 2nd boot(Harddisk) 3rd boot(Floppy) 4th boot(PXE UNDI Bus 0 Slot) so i disabled the floppy and PXE UNDI Bus 0 Slot and it did what you said when i run my virtual machine it gave me message "Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media in Selected Boot Device" the installer was already inserted and when i tried to restart the virtual machine it will goes to same message over and over again still not allowing me to install windows server 2003.I hope you can reply again to my post.Thank you very much in advance.

Comment

Have you Captured the CD/DVD ROM Drive so it can boot from the Server 2003 CD?
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
          Have you Captured the CD/DVD ROM Drive so it can boot from the Server 2003 CD?

Yes I already check if the first boot is CD-ROM and 2nd boot is Hard Disk then i disabled the 3rd boot(floppy) and 4th boot which is the PXE UNDI Bus 0 Slot whick is I think the prob why Im getting the error "PXE-E51 No DHCP or proxyDHCP offers were received" when I start the virtual machine and load the installer its just giving me "Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media in Selected Boot Device" I was thinking the installer was not bootable but it is bootable because I've tried it already.I dont know what else is the problem by the way I only have computer at home with DSL modem connection I dont have any router or switch or let say its just a standalone computer at home is that the problem cant I use virtual PC for home or study use only.
          Last edited by peralta_christopherver; 20th April 2010, 03:39.

Comment

hi christopher
            like mentioned, you may need to "capture" the cd device, whether it is physical cdrom, or an ISO file.

I can't remember off the top of my head where this is done.. it is usually a menu option.
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
              hi christopher
              like mentioned, you may need to "capture" the cd device, whether it is physical cdrom, or an ISO file.

I can't remember off the top of my head where this is done.. it is usually a menu option.

Hello thank you for helping and sorry if your having hard time on me.Im just wandering if I can really install Virtual PC at home i mean standalone computer to study windows 2003 server.I already check settings and BIOS and the CD bootable and properly inserted,I did what you told me to disabled PXE(netowrk boot) so it will go to reboot and insert proper device Im just looking for the menu options you told me I totally dont have idea where to find it.sigh

Comment

Look at the menu options in Virtual PC -- one of them allows you to mount a CD or ISO image in the virtual machine
                Do that with your Server 2003 cd or ISO
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

It is under the ................... CD option.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thought so but no Virtual PC anywhere handy so thought vague was good....
                    Tom Jones
                    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thank you guys for all of your replies I have to postpone this self study that I'm doing and continue next weekend thats my only time because of my non related IT work,thank you guys I hope next week you can still reply to my post about what happen to my problem.Thank you so much.

Comment

this forum is as close as I get to working right now.. so I'm doing my best to answer things

Comment

peralta_christopherver, take a look at the attached screenshot. This is what biggles77 meant in his post.
                          You will find this option in the CD menu of the VM window. The Use Physical Drive ... should become available when you have a CD in the drive.
                          After you mount the 2003 installation CD to the VM, you will be able to start the installation.
                          To tell you the truth, I would use Microsoft's VHD Test Drive Program. You can download pre-configured VHD files for different products, free. There is a 2003R2 Enterprise VHD available there for download.
                          Attached Files

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                          -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
                            peralta_christopherver, take a look at the attached screenshot. This is what biggles77 meant in his post.
                            You will find this option in the CD menu of the VM window. The Use Physical Drive ... should become available when you have a CD in the drive.
                            After you mount the 2003 installation CD to the VM, you will be able to start the installation.
                            To tell you the truth, I would use Microsoft's VHD Test Drive Program. You can download pre-configured VHD files for different products, free. There is a 2003R2 Enterprise VHD available there for download.

Thank you for the post but it looks like the software for the VM that you have is different than what I have this weekend I'll post a screenshot or the interface of what I have,It's just sad that I cant study the VM and the 2003 server during weekdays because of non related IT work.Hope you can still check on me this weekend.Thank you all so much. Maybe If the VM will not work I can try to download the VHD that you mentioned is that another virtualization software that I can try to study Windows 2003 Server?
                            Last edited by peralta_christopherver; 21st April 2010, 11:39.

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post

Guys tahnk you so much for all your help I got it right its exactly the way sorinso told me thank you so much and all the people who replied to my post.I never thought this forum will be a great help for someone doing self study.Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                              X