Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Associate physical NIC with VM only

Hi all,

Noob here. We currently have a Dell Server with 4 NIC's. One NIC is used for the physical box and the other is used for a Virtual Machine in Virtual Server 2005 R2.

The problem I am seeing is when pinging the physical machine, it uses the NIC for the VM.

How can I make it so that the NIC for the VM is used only for the VM?

Thanks in advance for any tips/advice.

Re: Associate physical NIC with VM only

Do the VMs need to access the rest of the network or the intenet? If so, I think the NiC has to be visible to the LAN. You could remove DNS entries for the VM's NiC and that should stop it replying to pings by name
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

The VM will need to be available to the network and internet. I will look into that. I was just doing some more testing and here is a better bread down of what is happening.

When the physical box is connected to NIC1 I can ping the machine by name and it displays the correct IP

After I connect NIC2 and it gets it's IP from DHCP and I associate that NIC with the VM and give the VM it's appropriate IP, any ping's to the physical machine by name go to NIC2.

I can still ping both by IP fine, but pings by name are resolving to NIC2.

All I want is NIC1 to be linked only to the physical and NIC2 to linked only to the VM.

Thanks again.

Comment

I got this figured out last week. I found a post that mentioned just removing everything but the Virtual Services from the network card properties. This way the card is only linked to the VM and not the physical machine.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Thanks for coming back with the solution!
          Any chance you post a link to that resource? For the sake of the future generations, you know

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

No problem at all, you can find it here:

http://www.aspdeveloper.net/Virtual_...iple_NICs.aspx

Seeing as our machine was not on the network we had to update DNS manually for pings to work.

It works great now. I hope this post will help others looking to do what we had to do as well.

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by gibson_hg View Post
              It works great now. I hope this post will help others looking to do what we had to do as well.
              It sure does! This is what makes this professional community so special ...
              Thank you!

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
              -

Comment

Working...
              X