Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting VHD File

Good day, I would like to know if the following is possible
    1. Create Virtual PC (XP) on Windows 2003 Server host.
    2. Create a second VHD file on virtual PC, and write files to VHD.
    3. Mount second VHD file while virtual PC is still active
    4. Replicate files from mounted VHD file
    5. Leave VHD file mounted on host

I need to use the virtual PC to provide LANMAN authentication (Do no want to enable on domain). The virtual PC will store data that I need to replicate to secondery location for access and backup. Looking to mount VHD as volume on Windows 2003 srv, and use DFSR to replicate data to secondary server. Note this will need to happen in set intervals so I will need to keep the VHD mounted.

Regards

Re: Mounting VHD File

VirtualPC has no hot-add capabilities ... So, you cannot mount a hard disk while the OS is running.
    You can create the second VHD and add it to the machine, of course, but while it is offline. I don't quite understand what are you trying to do, so cannot see why you have to add the second disk while the XP VM is running.
    How are you going to mount the VHD in 2003?
    If you need the data on the VHD replicated, why not replicate the VHD file itself?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Thanks for feedback ... The issue is that the data is time sensative, the VHD hold audio data that I need to replicate to central server. I therefore need to access the data in real time. Because the devices creating the data used LANMAN, I have to use a pc in the middle to resolve the security risk, and due to the large nature of the files, I do not want to keep two copies, e.g VHD and copied data. .Hope this makes sense

regards

Comment

Use a mapped network drive (or a folder on the host mounted with the VPC Additions) and access it from both VPCs
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

HI, thanks can you provide more info on how this can be done ...

Comment

Share a folder on the host and set appropriate permissions
            Assuming both VPCs are in the same network as it:
            browse to the host, right click the shared folder and "map network drive"

You run a server but dont know how to map drives?
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks from your original post I was led to believe that you can potentially mount the VHD within the host.... mapping a network drive will not work, as I am using DFSR and it does not support mapped drives only local folders.

Comment

No, what I said was you can mount a folder on the host as a drive within the VM
                And I dont see why DFSR stops you mapping a drive directly -- \\servername\share still works fine
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

Working...
                X