No announcement yet.

Windows Server and Virtual Pc

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Server and Virtual Pc

i have an old laptop which has a broken screen the sepcs are 80gb hdd, 1gb ddr2 ram and wireless(b/g). the laptop for some reason wont allow me into the BIOS, i really want to run windows server on the laptop full time . could i run windows server2003 full time vitualised on top of windows vista ? - giving it all the ram i could give it, all the Hdd i could give it? would this work, it would be for sharing files and a streaming videos to devices around the house and outside the house ?

Any ideas ?

Re: Windows Server and Virtual Pc

It would *work*, but to do what you want to do I would really suggest that you need to run Windows Server on a physical machine. To do what you want to do you would at least need to add a lot more RAM.

What sort of licence for Windows Server do you have? That may affect the answer.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

i have a educatinal license, i was going to upgrade it up to 3gb of ram

With the added RAM, it won't be any problem. Your real problem is the wireless NIC. I doubt you will manage to stream videos with it in an acceptable manner. Especially not while using the B standard.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

As suggested you could install Server 2003 on the laptop. Make sure you know the Vista key before wiping the HDD for Server version. This way you will not need to add addition RAM. The money could instead go towards a larger HDD.

Alternatively, you could downgrade to XP Pro and install Server 2003 in a Virtual Machine. XP will run on 128MB RAM with the rest being given to the Virtual Server.

If you install Server 2003 then you could install an 11n Wireless NIC and that could handle streaming assuming you have an 11n WAP.
          Departed: 23rd December 2015