Vista Enterprise 64 Bit install on Windows Virtual PC\Virtual PC 2007

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista Enterprise 64 Bit install on Windows Virtual PC\Virtual PC 2007

I have installed both Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC and Virtual PC 2007

Does anybody know if you can run MS Vista Enterprise 64 bit with Windows Virtual PC or Virtual PC 2007?
    I keep getting the error of:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
    2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next."
    3. Click "Repair your computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \windows\system32\boot\winload.exe

Info: Attempting to load a 64-bit application, however this CPU is not compatible with 64-bit mode.

I have tried this on two PC's with the same error. 1st system is a Dell where I have enabled Virtualization Technology in the BIOS. I have ran the Intel utility to confirm that the systems is able to run 64 bit. The host system is running Windows7. I thought it may be a issue with Windows Virtual PC not being able to run 64 bit so I took the same system and installed a clean host copy of Vista Enterprise 64 bit. That install's fine on the same Dell system. I then installed Virtual PC 2007 on the Dell system and enabled the Virtualization Technology in the settings section of Virtual PC 2007. Same error as above.

On the 2nd PC that is a HP Z400 workstation that is 64 bit and I have only tried it with the host system being Windows7 with Windows Virtual PC. The bios on this system does not have anywhere where you could enable Virtualization Technology. I flashed the BIOS to the most current version and it still does not have any option in the BIOS to enable Virtualization Technology. I get the same above error.

I am wondering now if you cannot run the 64 bit version of Vista Enterprise via either Virtual program? Odd that I can install the same Vista Enterprise 64 bit on either system as a host but not Virtual?
    I may try Vista 64 bit Business to see if that works.

Any help would be great.

Thanks...

Re: Vista Enterprise 64 Bit install on Windows Virtual PC\Virtual PC 2007

Virtual PC 2007 has versions that can run on a 32bit or 64bit operating system but you can ONLY install a 32bit operating system into Virtual PC. If you want to install a 64bit O/S then you will need to obtain a copy of VMWare, install it on 64bit hardware and then intall the 64bit Virtual machine.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thank you for the information. I have downloaded VMWare and I did get the 64 bit version of Vista working on VM.

Thanks again...

Comment

FYI when you get that error within the VM:
        Attempting to load a 64-bit application, however this CPU is not compatible with 64-bit mode.

It's talking about the VIRTUAL CPU.
        ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X