P to V a Windows 3.11 HDD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P to V a Windows 3.11 HDD

I have a friend whose client has a database running on a Windows 3.11 PC. In the short term he is going to try and find a PC that will run the software but would ultimately like to Virtualise the machine. As normal, there is NO installation software so he is unable to build a Virtual Machine from scratch, install the software and then import the database.

Is it possible to do a P to V on a Windows 3.11 computer and if so what convertor will do the trick. No, I haven't Googled yet as I had a late finish and the problem needs a quick resolution.

I have only considered Virtual PC as I am not familiar enough with VMWare to know it is possible with this either. I run Win 3.11 in a Virtual PC so I know that works.

Thanks.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Re: P to V a Windows 3.11 HDD

Would I be daft to just use Acronis / Ghost / Paragon or etc. to image the machine, save the image to a USB attached drive and then drop the image into a virtual machine just as you would if it was another physical machine? That's my method anyway.
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Actually he called me at work today and is going to use WinImage to grab the image and then runit as a Virtual so you wuz very close, so close you could be twinz.
      Last edited by biggles77; 13th September 2009, 15:23. Reason: typo: changed grag to grab
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

It will be very nice if you could update the forum with the outcome of this process...
        Given the fact that Win3.11 is not PnP, I am very curious to know how will it deal with the virtualized hardware...

TIA.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

He had a problem with HIMEM. He didn't know Virtual PC had a BIOS or that you could capture the FDD and boot off a floppy. The plan is to do that and edit CONFIG.SYS to get the memory working properly.

As soon as I hear, I shall write it down so I don't forget it and then try and remember to pass it on.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Cool, 10nx !

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

Comment

Just heard back. Captured the FDD, booted off a floppy and he REMed out the pertinent memory allocation parts in the Config.sys and the response was "very very successful".

Seems it work well.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
              X