Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Action when Virtual Server service stops

Hi,

We're using Virtual Server 2005 R2 for a couple of months now. All working fine.

Except that there's one area:

Action when Virtual Server service stops -
    Setting that determines the state to place the virtual machine in when the Virtual Server service stops.

No matter what I try, when I shutdown the base system (physical server), the virtual server and associated services stops fine. But it just kills the Virual machines running under it. It won't "save state" them, it won't shut them down, nothing.

Believe me, I've tried everything - No go. User accounts under which it runs, permissions, etc. It;s currently running under the Administrator's account. Still No go.

BTW, it does the:
    Action when Virtual Server service starts - Perfectly...

Any ideas/suggestions? Appreciate it...

Ricky

Re: Action when Virtual Server service stops

While it's a workaround rather than a fix, it's still what I would do even if it wasn't necessary - which is to create a script to cleanly shutdown the virtual machines and set it as a shutdown script for the physical server. Or to write a script which will shutdown the virtual machines and then shutdown the host.

If you want the virtual machines to be saved rather than shutdown, you may be able to script this behaviour.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I think I saw this issue somewhere in the past ... I'll look for it and post back...
      Anyway, you did not say anything regarding your virtual machines... What OSes are we talking about? Are the Virtual Machine Additions installed in each of them?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

Hi Sorin and Gforce,

Yes, I'd posted the same problem to this forum in Dec 2008 and then forgot about it - Sorry. I'd mistakenly thought that I'd (probably -?) get and email if there was nay reply here or something. Apparently (and quite rightly so - my mistake in assuming such) not.

Then again, now, just after I'd posted it again (as till date I've solved the problem - albeit temporarily - by getting my base server to hibernate and not shutdown - this doesn't kill the virtual servers running on it).... I realised that someone (was it Gforce?) had posted a reply to my Dec forum post....

So, Yes, I this is a re-post - but over the last few months, I still haven't found a solution to it. I'm going to try Gforce's solution in the next 2-3 days and will get-back to this forum with the results. Thanx Gforce.

Sorin: All virtual servers - running on/on the base system (Guest OSs) are Server 2003 - standard. And so's the base (host) System. Completely up-to date, SPs and all.

We're a development company and the guest OSs (servers) are used for development work, different type of set-ups, MS SQL Server, WAMP, etc. for different teams... I have a total of 5 - with 2 in use at any point in time - start the others as/when required... Saves me having to re-setup servers for the different devteams when required.

Thanx again guys. Do keep in touch. I'll check-back here regularly now.

Regards,

Ricky

Comment

Ok. The old post is here...

--> http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=30632

For any that'd like to refer to it. And thanx for the tips - to those that wrote-in too.

I tried them all except the shut-down script - Thanx Gareth - that really looks the most promising - that I'm going to try this week - but all the others I tried.

Sorin: No active directory. The Base (Host) System is a part of the office AD, but the guest servers are all workgroup servers.
          And yes, I did check the registry key properly too. It's in the correct place - But No go - same problem.

Biggles: I ran the Reg hack on the Base (Host) System.... It's the one that needs to wait-for the guest to shutdown.....
          and the KB Article suggests:

Right-click WaitToKillServiceTimeout, click Modify, type 90000, and then click OK.
          Important If you use the Shut down guest OS option, right-click WaitToKillServiceTimeout, click Modify, type 240000,
          and then click OK.

And I went all the way up to --> 6000000 Still no go. That's my current setting now.

That's it for now. Will try Gareth's suggestion and post back later.

Regards,

Ricky
          Last edited by RickyN; 28th July 2009, 11:38.

Comment

FYI, you do get an email when someone responds to your thread unless you unsubscribe from your thread
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
              FYI, you do get an email when someone responds to your thread unless you unsubscribe from your thread
              Actually, it does that only if you choose to in the post's options... It is not so by default ...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
              -

Comment

Working...
              X