No announcement yet.

Cannot Open VHD File

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot Open VHD File

I downloaded VS 2005 R2 SP1 recently. Host OS is Vista Ultimate and guest is 80 gig I/O Magic portable hard drive. Intent is to restore a particular file from Windows Complete PC Backup so I can restore my online sales site which I recently killed when trying to update the template. When I mount the vhd file in elevated command prompt, reply is machine is plugged in, but all files were not transferred. When I look in C:\Users\Public\Documents\Shared Virtual Machines\FAT32\Backup\WindowsImageBackup I find the file and it is exactly the same size which shows when in the portable hard drive - 42.7 GB. When I try to open the file with the VS VHD Mount Command Line Utility I just get a quick flash of a command prompt window, like a blink of the eye. At wits end. Can someone please help? Thank you.

Re: Cannot Open VHD File

Is your removable drive NTFS format?
    (the mention of FAT32 in the file path is worrying as FAT32 does not support files over 4 Gb)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Have you seen this article: ?
      If so, have you followed its steps?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

To Ossian, yes it is NTFS. In Device Management, shows Layout = Simple, Type = Basic, File System = NTFS, Status Healthy(Active, Primary Partiton), and Capacity = 74.53 GB.

To Sorinso, yes I have read the cited article several times. Being a novice, I did not try the reg edit until this morning. The first time I right clicked it gave me the option to mount. I selected mount and got the flash command prompt window again. No mount in Windows Explorer. Additionally, when I originally mounted, it did not show up as a drive letter as in the illustration. I may have done something wrong, but it went to C:\Users\etc. as described below.

Many thanks to both of you for replying. I sincerely hope you can help me work this out.