Virtualize Server 2008 on Vista PC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtualize Server 2008 on Vista PC

For testing purposes I plan on virtualizing server 2008 on my Vista x64 machine. However I do not know what will be the best method of doing this... should I use vmware? virtual pc? any others? I am hoping to also play with the hyper-v functionality inside the virtual 2008 box. Ideas?

Thanks,

Chase

Re: Virtualize Server 2008 on Vista PC

I can tell you I did that already: several machines, among them Windows Server 2008, both full and core installations, on VirtualPC 2007 SP1 with Vista x86 as host. The hardware is a dual-core 3.4GHz, 2GB RAM machine. Works like a charm.
    Notes regarding your post:
    1) be sure you download the right version (64bit) of the most updated release (build 192) avaialble here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en ;
    2) no way of running Hyper-V inside a virtual machine. For Hyper-V to run you will need a VT-enabled processor. The emulated processor you get in a virtual machine is not like that.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

And to add on what Sorin said - Remember that bot Virtual PC 2007 and Virtual Server 2005 only support 32-bit guests.

If you want 64-bit Windows Server 2008, you'll need to use Sun Virtual Box or VMware Server or VMware Workstation (which costs money).
      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Your box is already 64bit so it probably has support for the VT extensions presuming its Intel/AMD. But you'll need to turn them on from the BIOS. In addition VMware server is free. So is ESXi (which is a scaled down version of the full ESX hypervisor). VMware workstation as already said though is not.

Comment

Originally posted by scurlaruntings View Post
          Your box is already 64bit so it probably has support for the VT
          Not necessarily ...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

Working...
          X