Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closing a virtual machine from command line with VirtualPC 2004

Hi,

I am wondering if it is possible to close a VM using the command line with virtualPC 2004.

I am able to start a VM, but not to close it.

any ideas ?

The options listed with the -help arguments are not very helpful. However, there are so many specific options (pause, resume, registervm, startvm, singlepc) that I cannot believe they forgot to implement close one.

Re: Closing a virtual machine from command line with VirtualPC 2004

What about issuing a shutdown command to the VPC from the host
    shutdown -s -m <machinename>
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Ossian,

you suggest to use the shutdown command from the HOST and specify which VM to shutdown.

This is exactly what I am looking for, but I don't have a shutdown command on my windows 2000 Host computer. Is this supposed to be an OS command or a VirtualPC command ? if it's a VPC command, is it available for version 2004 ?

Thanks !

Comment

By the way, one possible workaround is to kill the VirtualPC process on the host. This leads to closing all VMs.

However, this is not very elegant. More importantly it does not allow you to close a single VirtualPC VM while leaving other running (it always closes all the VMs, even when you kill the process associated to a specific VM instead of killing the general VirtualPC process).

Comment

Sorry -- no mention of Windows 2000 host. Command is native to XP and 2003 Server, but Windows 2000 resource kit should have it:
          http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shutcut.php
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

And to follow your other post - Why are you using VPC 2004? Is there any good reason for that?
            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
            Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by lunarbof View Post
              Ossian,

you suggest to use the shutdown command from the HOST and specify which VM to shutdown.

This is exactly what I am looking for, but I don't have a shutdown command on my windows 2000 Host computer. Is this supposed to be an OS command or a VirtualPC command ? if it's a VPC command, is it available for version 2004 ?

Thanks !
              The "shutdown" switch is only available in XP upwards AFAIK. Install PS tools (Pss Shutdown). Its free and has a utility within it that does the same thing for Windows 2000.

Comment

Only in case that the VM is in the same network as other machines. Otherwise, there's no network connection between the VM and other machines, so you cannot run network commands to it.
                Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
                X