Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Reboot Text in VM

Hello to all, new to this Forum.
    I seem to have a unique problem! I'm trying to install Win98 on VPC2004. I have a bootable disc, bootable floppy AND a Win98 ISO, so I'm well supplied with bootable material. But when I click on Start on the console, all I get is a blank screen with no message telling me to reboot.
    I've installed, uninstalled, redownloaded, etc. several times, but with the same result. Without the reboot message, I simply can't get further.
    I've enabled my CD drive and my floppy drive.
    Has anyone seen this problem before? Anyone got a solution?

Re: No Reboot Text in VM

Is that CD bootable? Did you check?

As a side note - why bother with VPC 2004 when you can get VPC 2007 SP1 for free? Is there any good reason for not upgrading?
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

The CD is definitely bootable, I've used it several times in the past and in the past few days I tried it in VirtualBox, but didn't like it for games. I have tried both 2004 and 2007, but get the same results in both. Went back to 2004 thinking maybe XP liked it better.
      One point, I'm trying to install VPC in XP Home. I know the warning says it isn't supported, but it's worked successfully in the past, right until my last reformat a few weeks ago.
      It seems to me the problem is not with VPC, but with some conflict with the XP. I remember reading somewhere that Administrator needs to be enabled, but I don't know how. (It is MY computer.) If it's any help, here's a screenshot of the settings.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii78/diat60/Try3.jpg

Comment

You will need to boot from the Win98 install floppy disk since Win98 had no bootable install option when supplied from Microsoft.

Try changing the setting in the below image and see if the CD will now be read.

Click image for larger version

Name:	vpc2004-win98-.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	463990
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I tried your suggestion of unchecking the Cd attachment to Secondary Controller, with no luck. Also tried several times to boot from a floppy start up disk, also an ISO of the floppy, no luck. Here's a picture of what I'm getting when I start VM: http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii78/diat60/VPC.jpg
          Until I can get a message telling me to reboot, nothing works. So what I'm asking is how do I get that *&**** message up?!!!

Comment

Did you capture the Floppy drive or the floppy image so the Virtual PC can boot off it. You will also need to capture the CD ROM drive letter as well if you are using a physical CD of Windows.

Click image for larger version

Name:	vpc-capture-drive.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	463992

(Sorry but pulldown menu retracts when I try the screen capture.) Also, you can upload your screen captures to your post (use the paper clip to the right of the smilie face, top line of the editor. Just make sure you save them to JPG format and only upload the active screen and not the whole desktop. To capture the active window only, left click the window you wand to capture. hold down the ALT ket and press PRT SCN. Then paste the image into MS Paint. Decorate as necessary.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Yes, I did all of those. But you will note that where your screen shows text, mine shows nothing. Thanks for the instructions on capturing a screenshot, if anything shows up different I'll use it.
              Since VPC worked perfectly before the reformat, it would seem logical that the conflict is in the host computer. Do you agree?

Comment

Install VPC 2007 and see if that makes a difference.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Sorry I forgot to say I installed 2007 right after DanielP's post below. The screenshot you're seeing is 2007.

Comment

What are the specs of the PC you are trying to run this on?
                    What operating system does the PC have?
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Sorry, tried your method of attaching screenshot, but didn't work for me (no pic showed up in message box. However, here's a shot of my system:
                      http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i...t60/System.jpg.

Comment

Working...
                      X