Use of Shared drives

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use of Shared drives

I'm running 64bit VISTA and found my Adobe video editing suite is not supported. I installed MS Virtual PC 2007 SP1 to remedy the situation, but have run into a problem.

Installing XP Pro as a guest worked smoothly and I tested various simple programs without problem. My configuration includes a 500Gb RAID 0 drive containing my video files. I made that drive available to the XP guest as a shared drive (under the Z drive letter). Adobe Premiere is able to access the drive from the XP guest, but whenever I try to 'save' the project, I get an application level error message telling me that it couldn't save and asking that I use Save As under a new name.

It successfully saves under the new name and is able to retrieve that file on the next use. When I again try to save, the same thing happens. In short, I continually need to save a fresh version with each use.

Needless to say, this didn't happen when I ran native XP.

Any suggestions are most appreciated.

Re: Use of Shared drives

Does this happen only with the Adobe product? Or with other files also?
    Can you post the exact error message? (a screenshot would be best).

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Also, was you saving Adobe Premiere files to a shared drive on the actual XP machine? It may be an issue svaing to a network drive for virtualised and a physical XP host.

Comment

Ok. Answer to both questions:

It only happens with Adobe Premiere. Other apps seem to read and write just fine.

I'm attaching the screen shot (if I get this right).

I'm running adobe as aa app of the guest XP machine. The host is VISTA.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help!!
        Attached Files

Comment

Another question:
          When you shared the host drive, have you checked the "Share every time" checkbox?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

Originally posted by Impresario View Post

Needless to say, this didn't happen when I ran native XP.
            You haven't answered my question. Did you ever save to a file share when using on Windows XP before?

Comment

Sorry Virtual. I did not. When I was native XP I had no networked drives.

Comment

Sorinso: I wasn't sure I had checked that option, so I tested it again with the option set. The drive shows as available when i boot up XP, but the error message still occurs when I try to save. If I save under a new name it works fine, but if i try saving a second time, the same issue arises.

Comment

Are the Adobe Premiere files marked as read only in the file attributes?
                  Regards,
                  Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                  Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                  www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

No. the files are not read only

Comment

Apologies for asking. Is that not read only on the NTFS permisisons or the file attributes?

Comment

I'm not sure I'm answering your question correctly Virtual. While in VISTA I have full permissions to Everyone on the drive, the folder and the file. Is there an over-riding seting for the whole filesystem (i.e. NTSF) that needs tweaking?

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
                          Are the Adobe Premiere files marked as read only in the file attributes?
                          Jeremy made a good suggestion regarding the file attributes. If it is set to read only, it will not allow a project to be saved as the same name.

If you go to one of your saved Adobe Premiere projects. Right Click on it and left Click Properties. Is there an attribute set there to 'read only'. If so, remove the tick.

Comment

As I indicated in post #10, the file is definitely not marked read-only.

Comment

I asked a question after that asking whether it was NTFS read only or the attribute set as Read Only.

Oh well, I'm out of ideas now. I hope you get a succesful outcome.

Comment

Working...
                              X