Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Physical NT HDD > VM

Hi VM peoplz

Is is possible to get a physical HDD into a VM.

I have NT ws on an old 80Gb HDD, i have installed the HDD on a new PC as a slave. New PC is running XP SP3 wiht MS VM6.5 and VMware virtual machines.

I do not have a NT CD, only the HDD contaning the NT OS and various installed programs. The HDD works fine on 15 year old hardware, but as that is becoming more difficult to find and NT drivers for new hardware - forget about it.

Can it be done???
    IF so, how??

I have searched the net and no there is not heaps of info related to this specific request. Similar - yes, but not this ...

Thanks in advance

Re: Physical NT HDD > VM

I don't use Virtual PC these days, so can't remember if this is an option.

When you look at the virtual machine settings, if you try to add a new hard drive to it, does it give you the option of using a physical drive? If so, then yes you can. If not, then no you can't.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I am not aware of any tools available to do what you seek in VirtualPC/Virtual Server.
      I did find a way in Hyper-V to do that. From the Hyper-V manager, you can go to New -> Virtual Disk. During the wizard, it gives you the option of copying the contents of a physical hard disk into the new virtual hard disk.
      HTH...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

You might want to consider looking on Ebay for a copy of Windows NT - if you already have a licence for it you may be able to get the media by itself cheaply enough.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Guys - the response
          "if you can, then you can, and if you carnt, then you carnt"
          have been massivly helpful, such powers of reasoning, such insight
          .....(trying very hard not to let rip here)

Sorinso - thanks. I found bits and pieces refering to 'hyper V'
          Could you please give me any info (at all) that you have on it.
          I am not sure what it even is exactly. (for the above crew, i can save u a post, I already have a feeling that its a type of VM)

Comment

Do some googling for "PHysical to Virtual" or "P2V"
            http://blogs.msdn.com/virtual_pc_guy...30/611370.aspx for example
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Just to confirm do you want to just add the disk so you can view the contents in an already running virtual machine you have setup or do you want to boot the hdd in a VM so the already installed NT is running as a virtual machine?
              cheers
              Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

If I get this right - you're using the old NT disk as a slave on a different PC, right? This means you're NOT booting into NT, right? If so, why can't you simply copy the content of the old NT disk to a new disk, or if needed, into a VHD file?
                Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys.

Daniel - i dont know. Why carnt I just copy it into a vhd file??
                  Will it be accesible as the active partition when i boot the VM??
                  If so, any ideas on how to do this, becaseu i have tried this option without luck ...so far.

What i have is ONE PC, with XP installed (Host).
                  Installed on this PC is two physical HDD's
                  XP is sitting on one, with VM ontop of that.
                  Old NT HDD (as slave) is the other one.

I need the contents of the old NT HDD inside the VM.
                  Also, I need to boot from it, not just access the content.

SO far
                  Copied old NT HDD to DVD
                  Created (clean) NT VM from NT installation disk, with 2 partions (C: & D
                  C is current active partion
                  Copied (from DVD) old NT HDD into VM, drive (partiton) D:

NT disk admin will not allow me to change active partitions.
                  Fdisk would be great but doesnt exist in NT
                  It wont allow me to simply delete the C: drive either.

Please, i have googled this stuff. I have seen above links, even before i posted my original post.
                  If you do not know anything or dont even care, then just dont bother.
                  I dont need your input about how google works. It is insulting and a waste of yours and my time.

However, if you actually feel like assisting in this, i would much appreciate it.

Comment

When you say you have copied the contents, do you mean copy as in using xcopy (or similar) to copy the files or do you mean copy as in copying using a P2V program?

Also, your 2nd and 3rd last lines were totally unnecessary and are more inclinded to have your thread ignored rather than get the help you require.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by sjh666 View Post
                      Please, i have googled this stuff. I have seen above links, even before i posted my original post.
                      If you do not know anything or dont even care, then just dont bother.
                      I dont need your input about how google works. It is insulting and a waste of yours and my time.
                      How to make friends and influence people 101 ....
                      As I read your post you were trying to convert a physical drive to a virtual one, but as you did not use the phrase "physical to virtual" I was not sure if you were aware of it, hence the reference to and a likely looking link. Of course, I could have been totally wrong in my reading of your posts but I still think that is what you are trying to do.
                      I'm sorry if you considered this insulting and unhelpful -- if I had been in your position I would have thought the opposite.
                      Now I will echo Biggles comment and leave this thread alone.
                      Tom Jones
                      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                      X