Installed Windows 7 in MS VPC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installed Windows 7 in MS VPC

Hi everyone, I'm new here and fairly new to virtual machines so please be patient with me. I have a XP host with a AMD 3800 dual-core processor. I installed Windows 7 in MS VPC. It is running extremely slow, using 100% of the processor when opening browser and most applications. Also, when I check the properties of my computer it shows the right processor but instead of a 2.08 GHz it says 6MHz. Does anyone have any idea if I did something wrong in configuring or what might be going on. Thanks.

Re: Windows 7 Beta

Originally posted by New2VM View Post
    Hi everyone, I'm new here and fairly new to virtual machines so please be patient with me. I have a XP host with a AMD 3800 dual-core processor. I installed Windows 7 in MS VPC. It is running extremely slow, using 100% of the processor when opening browser and most applications. Also, when I check the properties of my computer it shows the right processor but instead of a 2.08 GHz it says 6MHz. Does anyone have any idea if I did something wrong in configuring or what might be going on. Thanks.
    The "6MHz" is just what it's using right now - so don't worry about that.

The important questions are, how much RAM did you give to the VM in its config, and what is the spec (Processor speed, RAM amount and speed, graphics card model and RAM) of your "host" machine? Also, what OS are you running on the host, and how "Fat" is it? (i.e. how many apps are installed, how long since you last defragged, etc). Oh - and what kind of disk is in your host machine? IDE? SATA? SATA II? SCSI?

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Re: Installed Windows 7 in MS VPC

Moved from Windows 7 Forum since this is a Virtual PC question.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Here are my specs. for my host
        OS XP
        RAM 4GB
        CPU AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+ 2.01GHz
        Video Radeon X1650
        HDD SATA WD 320GB 3.0GB/s

I have 2GB of RAM dedicated to my VPC

I do have quite a few apps. installed on my host because I use it to test out different apps. and security programs but even when I don't have any running, my VPC still runs slow and I try not to have too many unneeded services running. I defrag once a week and just before I installed the vm.
        Thanks for the tip on the 6MHz. I thought that it would show what is available like on a host machine when checking the properties of mycomputer. If you have any suggestions please let me know. I thought about reinstalling in vmware or virtual box but I really don't want to have to do that, I know there has to be a way to run in VPC correctly. Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Sounds like you're doing it all correctly. I guess that 2GHz just isn't enough to run XP plus VPC plus Win7.

I would create a partition (use partition magic or similar) on your HDD and install Win7 there. It runs like a dream on my old crate at home.

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

2GHz is plenty. I have a Dual Core 2GHz with 4GB RAM on a 32 bit XP Pro and Windows 7 runs nicely with 512MB RAM and real nice with 1GB.

What version of XP are you running, 32bit or 64bit version?
            Did you install the VM Additions after installing Windows 7? (From now on, Windows 7 should be refered to as W7 as that is a lot easier to type.)
            If you are running 64bit XP then try installing VMWare and then the 64bit version of W7.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I have had a problem recently with VMCs from a Microsoft course when preparing for a course. When using Microsoft Virtual PC, they run reasonabally fast but when using Virtual Server, the recommended program for the courses, it runs slow and the mouse is jerky. I take it you are using Virtual PC but thought I would add this just in case.

I only have 2GB of memory and run a Windows Vista and Windows 2003 VMC at the same time whilst using apps on my laptop at the same time.
              Last edited by Virtual; 6th February 2009, 17:55.

Comment

Biggles,

I'm running 32 bit XP. I tried installing the vm additions but I kept getting an error. I believe that it said there was a file missing. I don't think it said what file but can I reinstall the files without having to reconfigure VPC and without having to reinstall W7? Thanks for all of the replies everyone.

Comment

Please post the exact error...
                  Virtual Machine additions reside in a closed ISO file, that is mounted in your virtual CD drive. Files just cannot evaporate from there.
                  The question is what is exactly the problem... It might be from the Windows7 installation...
                  And please check you run the latest VirtualPC SP1 version (build 6.0.192.0), available from here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
                  There were reports over the Net that older builds cause problems between Windows7 and VM Additions.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                  -

Comment

Working...
                  X