Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genuine Advantage check fails in Virtual PC on Gateway PC

Evening everyone -
    I am in the same situation after installing XP on a Gateway computer.

Quick background update: I oversee about 50 computers, Gateways with XP Pro licenses on the side of the boxes. Gateway provides a XP Pro full reinstall disk (not a recovery). I also have X number of volume licenses for our none new boxes. I have basically replaced our W98 boxes with news but we still have some old legacy programs on the server that requires old software.

The problem:
    Gateway Machine - Dual Core - 2GB Ram - 160GB HHD
    1 - I install MS Virtual PC 2007, following a number of tutorials since I am new to virtualizaiton.
    2 - Placed my Gateway XP Pro Cd in the drive
    3 - Installed the OS
    4 - Can't recall if I rebooted the VPC
    5 - The balloon product key icon appeared in the systray prompting to validate my install.
    6 - Enter a product key (this is where I have stopped)

Normally when I have to reinstall a Gateway machine, I don't have to input the product key.

Side note on installation: I read in a few tutorials about "reset" before installation. I did not do that step, found out after my first 2 attempts.

Q1 - Since this is on a legitimate Gateway machine, why is it failing?

Q2 - If I enter the license key on the side of the machine, will I screw up my machine's license in the future?

Q3 - Is there a way I can create just an image of the machines XP install to use. (I use Ghost to create partitions/harddrive images but that will be too big for the virtual hard - I just want a basic XP iso that I can install from the server)?

Thanks in advance for any help since most tutorials do not cover the license situation.

Re: Genuine Advantage check fails in Virtual PC

As the licences are OEM licences, it is against the EULA to use that licence key on a system other than that which they were supplied with, regardless of whether the system is physical or virtual. It is also against the EULA to use the serial key on more than one machine at once - from your post I understand that you are using serial key A, which is an OEM key for machine A, to install Windows within a VM on machine A, when presumably that is the key that was used to install the host OS on machine A.

I've also flagged your post for a moderator to review as in my opinion it is pushing the boundaries of being considered a thread hijack.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Thanks for such a quick reply.

Yes, the host machine has it's own license, which I did not input into the virtual install. I deleted the virtual machine and created a new virtual machine only to have the same situation.

I guess I am looking at this from a wrong angle. I was approaching the virtual pc like restoring computers from an image. Gateway computer, Gateway image.

If I created a new virtual machine with 1 of my volume license, will that work?

I am just a little perplexed, after reading some more responses about the license issue.
      If the Virtual Machine has to have its own license (which I understand) but then I duplicate that Virtual Machine on the same computer (which a lot of tutorials talk about to test multiple apps with different configurations), where does the licensing issue come in that situation.
      I don't want to use up all my spare VL on Virtual Machines to test different configurations before deploying them.

Comment

Thank you for clearing that up - I was glad to see that your intention is not to break the law.

As I understand it, you require a separate licence for each machine, whether they be virtual or physical. If you use volume licence seats for the VMs, then yes you could clone the machines - don't forget to run sysprep mind, as long as you are careful not to use too many seats. If they are not VL seats, then you can still clone the machines (again, run sysprep) however you should clone them before activation, and after cloning each machine you should follow the procedure in Daniel's article for changing the serial key of the installation.

Keep in mind that you could clone a VM and save a copy to DVD. You could then experiment with different configurations with that VM, after which you would restore it from your backup. As long as you only have one machine using a given serial key at any one time, you would be operating legitimately. If on the other hand you need to be running the different configurations simultaneously, then you will need separate licences for each.

Originally posted by junk_signup View Post
        Thanks for such a quick reply
        Sleep is for chumps I've had flu for the last 2 weeks, so very little caffiene. Now that I'm back at work, and the current round of musical offices means that I'm sat next to the coffee machine...

By my reckoning, I'll be immune to caffiene again by Friday though.
        Last edited by gforceindustries; 7th January 2009, 03:24.
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Oh no, I take my IT position very seriously, been doing it for about 5yrs and try not to intentionally break the law. IT is the best work ever, always learning something and now I have to learn about "sysprep". Never used it.

I've always just used Ghost (in the DOS base version) to create an image of my computers, to quickly recover them in the event of a crash.

Follow to Q3 - Is there a way I can create a basic XP image from my VL cd?

I really don't need all the bloat from the install to run 1 legacy app in the VPC.

We have looked at getting it redeveloped or modified by the original designer but he wants a ton of money to do it and we are not going to spend that amount money on something that can be handle by Virtualization.

Comment

Ghost Walker performs the one of the same functions as sysprep - changing the SID of the system to a unique value. It's included with the Windows Deployment Tools. While both have the same effect, only sysprep is supported by Microsoft and therefore I recommend against using Ghost Walker or other products in instances where you are not actually using Ghost.

You can setup RIS or WDS (depending on your server OS and SP) to install XP over the network. Arguably, they are both easier than the other, for different reasons - personally I find it hard to identify a favourite. Worth looking into - once that's setup then as long as your network cards support PXE, you'll never have to install Windows from CD again *.

* naturally, there's smallprint. Quite minor though, you'll find out about that when you research the options.
            Gareth Howells

Comment

I really want to think you and Daniel Petri for this forum. It has been a big help in the past with other little small issues and now this one.

Hopefully I will be able to contribute back to the forum in the future.

Thanks again as I now start a new course on sysprep to finish my project.

Comment

Working...
              X