Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

virtual pc ok internet ok but cant get network running to access usb printer on host

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• virtual pc ok internet ok but cant get network running to access usb printer on host

My first use of Virtual pc was going ok until i found i could not get a network operational with host and guest on it, so i could access the printer on the
    host vista sp1, from guest xp sp3. Internet is available , but when i open network connections in virtual pc xp there is nothing listed there.
    Set up is as follows 640 gig dual boot harddrive vista / xp
    installed virtual pc in Vista ,loaded xp. This is so i can run an old version of MYOB in the virtual xp which will not run in vista, save rebooting all the time.
    virt pc network settings adaptor 1 = nic 2 = microsoft loopback adaptor . Have tried a mix of nic/local , shared /ms loopback, shared / local all same results
    guest can ping router and host , host cannot ping guest router is ip address
    x.x.1.1, host x.x.1.2 , guest x.x.1.3 .
    host lists network adaptors in device manager as 1.. nic, 2.. ms loopback
    guest lists 1.. nic (but cant find it ! mark)/ 2 intel 21140/ 3 intel 21140/ 4..ms loopback.
    AVG on both os , firewalls turned off , also have network magic on both
    but it hasn't helped me. Reasonably familiar with networking but not virtual pc.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated , before I go round the bend !!
    Last edited by penost; 17th December 2008, 04:57. Reason: Spelling ,Readability

Re: virtual pc ok internet ok but cant get network running to access usb printer on h

Hi, penost.
    How is the printer connected? To the network? To the host?
    If it is to the host, is it shared in Vista?
    In Vista, is the network defined as private?
    Do you have ping from the host to the router and to the guest (it is not clear what you wrote in your post)?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Re: virtual pc ok internet ok but cant get network running to access usb printer on h

hi sorinso,
      Thank you for your help, i had tried both public and private , seemed to be the same result, but this time when i took your suggestion and changed to private again , i still got no result from trying to open the common " workgroup" folder, but got it to locate and enable me to connect to printer and host, through "add a network place". Under " Network places " it now shows guest drive under " local network " and host drive under " The internet" which i didnt think was normal , but who cares ? I have access to my host and printer, problem solved .
      Thanks again
      penost

p.s. Your Bill Cosby quote is a great one to help you readjust your patience levels at times when needed !
      Last edited by penost; 18th December 2008, 03:41. Reason: added futher comment

Comment

Working...
      X