A Disk Read Error Occurred

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Disk Read Error Occurred

I've been attempting to run our servers as virtual machines, but none ever seem to boot successfully. Our servers are running Server 2003 Standard Edition and we use Acronis True Image Echo Server 9.5 (build 8163) to back-up and then convert to virtual hard drives. The servers use SCSI drives in a RAID configuration.

When trying to boot I get the message "A disk read error occurred. Press Ctrl-Alt-Del to Restart"

When restoring the backup images of our servers to physical machines, there are no problems. When trying to restore the backups to a virtual machine, I get the same disk read error.

What could I be doing wrong? I've had no issues with running Windows XP virtual machines. Our servers just don't seem to like being virtualized.

Re: A Disk Read Error Occurred

What virtualisation product are you using? Presumably Microsoft Virtual Server?

I'd recommend that you run a "proper" installation of Windows onto the VMs, and then restore data only from a backup. Generally speaking, Windows doesn't like being installed on one set of hardware, and then being shoved onto new hardware.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Welcome, jing.
      Please read the forum rules. With the info you provided so far, I doubt someone can assist you.
      Please provide more details about what you have and what you did:
      1) As gforce asked, what virtualization product are you using?
      2) What format are the Acronis backup images? How do you transform them in virtual hard disks?
      3) Where are these images stored?
      4) What are the specifications of the host server?
      5) What are the specifications of the servers you want to virtualize? What brand, model, CPU, RAM and especially RAID card?

I hope that with these data we will be able to start debugging the issue.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

Sorry about that.

1) As gforce asked, what virtualization product are you using?
        MS Virtual Server 2005 R2

2) What format are the Acronis backup images? How do you transform them in virtual hard disks?
        The backup images are in .tib format and I've been using Acronis to transform them into .vhd

3) Where are these images stored?
        All images and virtual disks are stored locally on the host server.

4) What are the specifications of the host server?
        IBM x225 type 8647
        1 x Xeon 2.8 Ghz
        1 Gb of DDR II ram
        3 x 36GB ultra 320 scsi drives in RAID 5. I believe that it's an IBM Serveraid card in there.

5) What are the specifications of the servers you want to virtualize? What brand, model, CPU, RAM and especially RAID card?
        IBM x226 type 8648 with the same specifications as the host server I'm using.

All servers are running 32-bit Windows Server 2005 Standard Edition with SP2.

Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

You're probably going to want more memory in the host - things will crawl if you setup VMs on a host with only a gig.
          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Yes, I understand that. Right now I'm just using the current host server to play around with VMs. Once we decide to put the VMs into action we will be using a beefier host server for sure.

Comment

Please tell me, jing:
              - is the backup image you create a full backup, or an incremental one?
              - how big is the .TIB file? When you convert it to VHD, have you checked you have all the required disk space for an additional file as big as the original?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
              -

Comment

- is the backup image you create a full backup, or an incremental one?

The backup images are incremental using "normal" compression.

- how big is the .TIB file? When you convert it to VHD, have you checked you have all the required disk space for an additional file as big as the original?

Right now I'm working with two different server backups. One is approximately 6 GB and the other approximately 12 GB. There is enough space for the initial .vhd files after the .tib files are converted.

Comment

Working...
                X