Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

virtual server host doesn't shutdown guest virtual servers...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• virtual server host doesn't shutdown guest virtual servers...

Hi All,

*** Am a SysAdmin and have a MS Virtual Server 2005 system running on a P-4, 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, MS Server 2003 Sp2, host system. Sufficient RAM, HDD space, everything. Running 2 virtual server 2003, guest servers.

All works perfectly. No problems, Virtual server, VMRCPlus, etc... No problems, till I shutdown the host server.

I've tried everything. Setting the guest servers to be "shutdown" and alternatively "save state" when the host shuts-down. I've tried increasing the (sugegsted by everyone - registry key) "wait time to kill app" to 90000, 240000, 600000 milli seconds as everyone suggests... but still I get the "shutdown was unexpected" message from the eventlog (in System log on teh guest systems) on re-start of the guest virtual servers. Meaning that they didn't shutdown normally - but were killed by the host, shutting down.

And Yes, I did re-boot, so this registry change could be taken and then tried it.

Just can't seem to figure out what's wrong... I've tried everything. Believe me, I have...

Interesting thing is that if I stop the Virtual Server 2005 service, manually (to test the bahaviour of the system) - while the host system is still running, it nicely shutsdown the guest servers. No problems, at all... and then shuts itself (Virtual server 2005) down.

But when the host system is shutdown, from Start->Shutdown or by power button (ATX Shutdown), the guest virtaul servers get killed and not shutdown.
    Just can't seem to figure out what's wrong..

Sometimes, like 1 in 0 attempots, it does n\manage to shutdown 1 of the 2 servers properly, before shutting (itself - the host) down. But rest of the time, the guest virtual systems just get killed.

One intreresting fact. When I timed it (or when I do the "shutdown the virtual server 2005 service only, to test it) it takles around 30 seconds to shut down eac of the guest systems. But when I shutdown the server (powerdown), it goes down in just around 10-14 seconds. Definately too quick to have shutdown the guests...

Be glad for any suggestions - of stuff I could try...

RickyN
    Online -- Goa (India).

Re: virtual server host doesn't shutdown guest virtual servers...

It's a workaround at best, but use Group Policy to define a shutdown script for your server. The script would use psshutdown to shut down any Windows VMs. It would then stop the service, and then use psshutdown to kill the host OS.

By no means perfect, but the script would run whenever the server experiences a graceful shutdown (ie you press the power button, rather than holding it down until the server switches off).
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
      use Group Policy
      I don't see any reference to an existing Active Directory in this set-up...

Anyway, RickyN, are you using the R2 version of VirtualServer 2005?
      The Reg key you mentioned should have solved the problem. Are you sure it was inserted properly in the Registry? The VM settings are right, since shutting down the VirtualServer service does shut down the machines properly...
      Just for reference, here is the link to the Microsoft's article:http://support.microsoft.com/default...b/888745/en-us .
      Can you double check it?
      10nx, and do post back with the result.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
        I don't see any reference to an existing Active Directory in this set-up...
        Windows Server 2003 (his host OS) supports local group policies. While the set of features offered is reduced compared to what you can set through GP in a domain, it does support defining shutdown scripts.

Thanks for the KB link though, good tip
        Last edited by gforceindustries; 4th December 2008, 20:31.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

RickyN, did you run the reg hack on the Host or Guest O/S?
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
          X