Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device, again

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device, again

I saw a recent thread on this topic and my problem is similar.

I am using Virtual Server 2005 R2. The Host OS is Vista Business Edition.

I've set up a Virtual Machine and added a new Virtual Hard drive. next step is to install a Guest OS and that's where the fun begins.

The VHD is configured with the HD attached to Primary Channel(0) and CD/DVD attached to Primary Channel(1).

(Don't know if it's relevant, but the host HD is a SATA HD, the DVD is IDE.)

I followed the instructions in the getting Started Guide and get to the point where I click "Remote Control".

In the DOS type screen that appears, initially I get a line that reads "Client MAC ADDR", followed by numbers and a GUID. The "twirling backslash" wait symbol then runs for about 30 seconds before I get the:
    "Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device
    or insert Boot Media in selected boot device"
    message.

I've tried several install CDs and DVDs, including the current one which is an installation CD for Windows 2000.

With the host machine BIOS set to catch CD as the first device, this disk can be accessed via the usual "Press any key to boot from CD" - so it's definitely bootable.

In that recent thread, the ORPO resolved it by changing the BIOS boot sequence in VPC. I don't know if that will fix my Virtual Server problem, but I haven't figured out how to access the VM's BIOS.

So Q1 is how can I access the VM's BIOS and
    Q2 is does anyone have any other advice as to what might be causing my problem?

Re: Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device, again

Welcome to Petri.co.il forums, xtab!
    Indeed the issue you depict here was solved recently in another thread.
    The boot sequence of the host is irrelevant, you need to change the boor sequence in the virtual machine.
    Take a look at my answer in that thread, you will find there the solution.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Thanks for the reply. As I mentioned, I had read that ealier thread, but didn't understand how to access the BIOS in the VM in Virtual Server.

Unfortunately, pressing the DEL key didn't produce any result for me originally or since.

However, maybe I'm just going about this all wrong, so let me explain how I'm trying to do this.

To get into Virtual Server, I select "Virtual Server Administration Website" from the Programs menu. (I don't see any alternative choice, such as "Virtual Server", etc ).

Once I'm in the Admin website I get a Status screen that shows the virtual server name, has a menu down the left side and shows the two VMs I have created in the main area of the screen. Recent Events are listed below that.

If I select one of the VMs I get a context menu that allows me to Edit Configuration, Start, etc.

In a currently running VM, there is an additional choice of 'Remote Control'. The instructions tell me to select this and run the installation CD for the OS - which brings me back to the start of my problem/question as originally posted.

But at no point do I seem to get the:
      "When you first boot the new virtual machine, you receive a screen like an ordinary computer" scenario that you are describing.

Is 'Start' or 'Restart from Saved' what you mean when you talk of booting the VM?

Is there some action or choice that I'm totally missing here?

As I say, maybe there's something fundamental I'm missing. If you

Comment

Have you attached the physical optical drive / bootable ISO file to the VM?

FYI, Virtual Server is not supported on Windows Vista - see http://www.microsoft.com/technet/vir...n/sysreqs.mspx
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

If I've read this correctly, and apologies if not, the first boot screen passes really quickly.
          I think it is F2 not escape but don't quote me on that.
          The other issue is to make sure you've clicked on the screen so you have a connection to the VM otherwise keyclicks are only relevant outside it.
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

The boot order is already set to boot from CD if it is bootable.

To be honest though, I would expect vendors to let you access BIOS config from the VM config.
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by xtab View Post
              Is there some action or choice that I'm totally missing here?
              I owe you an apology. You said it is the same problem like the other thread and I overlooked the fact that you are using Virtual Server, and not Virtual PC.
              When you enter the configuration page of the virtual machine, one of the options is CD/DVD. Click on it and you will be able to mount a physical device or an ISO image to that virtual machine (see the attached screenshot).
              Attached Files

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
              -

Comment

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll post some follow-ups based on your advice and would be grateful for any futher thoughts you have.

Andy:

If I've read this correctly, and apologies if not, the first boot screen passes really quickly.

What get is the DOS-like screen that has "Argon PXE Boot Agent" at the top. It then tries to locate the installation disk (I think).

This screen then shows: "CLIENT MAC ADDR: 00 03 FF 83 50 DF GUIDL 98303CAF-FAA9-EC40-B734-DBC846303B3E DHCP ... " and polls for approx 30 secs.

It then comes up with one of two errors:
                a. 'no boot file name received'
                b. 'No DHCP or xxxxxx offers were received.' (It flashes off so quickly I haven't been able to read it or catch it with the Break button yet!)

I think it is F2 not escape but don't quote me on that.

Most of the Function keys will cause it to try the network boot, but the end result is always the same. But none of them bring up a BIOS screen of any kind.

The other issue is to make sure you've clicked on the screen so you have a connection to the VM otherwise keyclicks are only relevant outside it.

Yep, I've clicked on the boot screen and get the default 'dot' as the mouse pointer (which I know you get prior to installing Additions). I've also tested that the key presses to register in that boot screen.

I decided to make absolutely certain that the problem wasn't the installation disk. So, apart from trying four different ones with different OS's, I then installed VPC 2007.

Once VPC was installed, I created a new VM and, as you know, VPC has a really handy set of wizards that help you through the process of creating your first VHD. That went perfectly and installed the OS just as you would expect.

So it's not the installation disk.

I then thought I'd get round the problem by accessing this new VPC VM from Virtual Server. The book says they are compatible if you take a couple of precautions, which I did.

But when I tried to Add this Virtual Machine from within Virtual Server, it just gave me a "User does not have sufficient access rights" error message. Bummer!

I have full Admin rights everywhere on this box, so don't begin to understand that one.

If you have any further thoughts or suggestions, I'm willin to try anything.

Comment

Gareth,

The boot order is already set to boot from CD if it is bootable.

One question I wondered about is this 'channel' thing, about which I understand nothing!

In one VM it has the HD as Primary Channel(0) and the CD/DVD as Primary Channel(1)

The other VM has the HD as primary Channel(0) and the CD/DVD as Secondary Channel(0)

So I removed the HD and the CD/DVD and reinstalled them with the CD/DVD first, so that it was assigned Primary Channel(0).

I was thinking that maybe it was like a boot order thing

But it didn't make a ha'porth of difference!

To be honest though, I would expect vendors to let you access BIOS config from the VM config.

I've been through all the menu items in the Status screen and none of them seem to have a 'BIOS ' option.

And no combination of keys I've tried in the Boot scren will take me to a BIOS screen.

If you have any other suggestions, I'd be grateful and would be happy to try them.

Edit. Just remembered your earlier points:
                  Have you attached the physical optical drive / bootable ISO file to the VM?

Yes, did that and it shows as "Host Drive D"

I'll follow up that "not suppported" problem with Microsoft. My gut feeling is that the page hasn't been updated fully (although I see they did amend it on 2007).
                  Last edited by xtab; 30th November 2008, 17:29. Reason: Additional info

Comment

Sorinso,

I owe you an apology. You said it is the same problem like the other thread and I overlooked the fact that you are using Virtual Server, and not Virtual PC.

No problem. That's really why I started a new thread as it was a different application.

When you enter the configuration page of the virtual machine, one of the options is CD/DVD. Click on it and you will be able to mount a physical device or an ISO image to that virtual machine (see the attached screenshot).

Thanks for that suggestion. I had that covered though and it shows "Host Drive D" which is the correct drive letter.

Anything else you can think of will be appreciated.

Comment

It sounds that you do not have a CD or an image mounted in the virtual CD device. Your VM is not supposed to boot from network, and this is what it looks like it does ...
                      Take a look at the screenshot I provided in my earlier post and see what is going on in there...
                      Also, if you could post a screenshot of your configuration page, it will be of a great help...

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Hi Sorinso,

I think our posts probably crossed just now. The CD/DVD drive does seem to be mounted OK.

I've attached the screenshots of the main Status screen and the CD/DVD config.

I'll post a follow up with a shot of the Boot screen also if I can capture it as an image.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Actually, I did forget to mention one step in the sequence. I always have to log in after I select Remote Control.

Screenshot attached.
                          Attached Files

Comment

And here's the screenshot of the boot screen.
                            Attached Files

Comment

When you start the VM, do you have the bootable disk inserted in the physical D drive?
                              This is what I suggest you to do, to be able to reach the BIOS:
                              - turn on the machine, let the DHCP message appear;
                              - start to remote control the virtual machine. You will see in the lower left part of the screen the Control Virtual Machine panel. Choose to reset the VM;
                              - in the next stage you will receive two dialog boxes: one will ask you if you want to connect to the VM over an insecure channel and the second one is the login. Check the checkbox in the first one and answer YES and insert the credentials and check the Remember my Password in the second one;
                              - you can now reset again the machine. The first dialog box will not show again and you can quickly click OK in the login window. You will get to the VM's display in an early stage;
                              - quickly depress the DEL key and you will find yourself in the BIOS.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Working...
                              X