Any way to shrink a virtual disk?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any way to shrink a virtual disk?

I'm new to the Virtual PC thing and still trying to wrap my arms around the whole machine-that-isn't-really-a-machine thing.

I've accidentally created a virtual disk that's larger than I need. Is there a way to reduce the size of the virtual disk? If so, what do I need to do to make XP see the smaller disk size?

Thanks,
    Dave

Re: Any way to shrink a virtual disk?

Not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for, but I think it'll work for you..

Google says this: http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000639.html

Finally, shrink the virtual machine hard drive using the disk wizard available from the Virtual PC UI:
    1. Click the File | Virtual Disk Wizard drop-down menu
    2. Edit an existing virtual disk
    3. Select the correct disk image
    4. Select "Compact it"
    5. Select "replacing the original file"
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

That doesn't actually change the volume size, it just compresses the file.

For example, I'm looking for a way to change a 200GB volume to 60GB.

Comment

http://www.aspdeveloper.net/Virtual_...esize_vhd.aspx

Add a new, empty virtual disk to the machine, and then clone the old disk onto the new. Same as you would do in a real PC.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
        X