Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couldn't install any OS from CD nor ISO file

Hi,
    I tried to install a system (Vista or W2K, with "CD / Use physical unit xx" or "[IMG]file:///C:/Users/ADMINI%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG]CD / Capture ISO image") on the virtual disk but I ever got the same message :
    "Reboot and Select proper Boot device
    or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device"
    It seems like if the CD driver was recognized but the "form" of the data wasn't as attended by virtual PC. Couldn't it be made with an autorun.inf file refering to a setup.exe file ?
    Thanks for help as I don't understand for now.

Re: Couldn't install any OS from CD nor ISO file

Let's start from the beginning:
    - what product are you using for virtualization?
    - what OS is the host?

The error message you mentioned usually appears when there is no bootable device the virtual machine will boot from.
    In a clean virtual machine, waiting to be installed, can be because:
    - there is no CD in the drive (but you said you dealt with that already);
    - the media in the drive that is mapped to the virtual machine is not bootable;
    - the boot sequence of the virtual machine is not set to check the CD.

Please check the last two options and come back with the results, including the details I asked for.

Added: Welcome to the Petri.co.il forums. Please read the forum rules.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Vista / Virtual PC - Couldn't install any OS from CD nor ISO file

Thanks for your answer.
      I try to use Virtual PC 6.0 on a Windows Vista host.
      I tried to boot the virtual machine from an original Windows 2000 Professional CD, then from a Windows Vista Ultimate CD, then from an ISO file I made from my Windows 2000 CD.
      The 2 CDs are bootable (with an AUTORUN.INF file referring to a SETUP.EXE).
      The boot sequence for the physical host is "CD then HDD_1".
      I don't understand where to deal with the "virtual machine boot sequence", and I just tried to boot from a CD or an ISO file.

Comment

What is Virtual PC 6.0? I know Virtual PC 2004, 2005 or 2007... But not 6.0 ...

When you first boot the new virtual machine, you receive a screen like an ordinary computer. By pressing DEL (the DELETE key) you get to the virtual machine's BIOS. There you should set the boot sequence to the CD first (BTW, the host is irrelevant here).
        Let us know how it turned out.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

SOLVED - Vista / Virtual PC - Couldn't install any OS from CD nor ISO file

Virtual PC 6.0 is the same as Virtual PC 2007.
          It was a boot sequence problem : After I put the CD first in the virtual machine's BIOS, every thing worked as expected.
          Thanks for your help

Comment

I am glad to hear you solved the problem.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Re: Vista / Virtual PC - Couldn't install any OS from CD nor ISO file

Originally posted by Totobeloeil View Post
              The 2 CDs are bootable (with an AUTORUN.INF file referring to a SETUP.EXE)
              FYI, that is not the same as being bootable. The autorun.inf tells Windows what to do when the disc is inserted into a computer that already has Windows running. The BIOS looks for something else to determine if a disc is bootable. Look at your other software CDs for example - most of them will have an autorun.inf file but are not bootable.
              Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
              X