X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtualize Win95 spec PC to latest Win2000

I have this crazy thought,

Can I virtualize an old PC that has the hardware spec for Win95 O/S and
    install the latest fazdodah Win2000 or WinXP Pro O/S in the virtual environment?

TIA
    Multivits

Re: Virtualize Win95 spec PC to latest Win2000

I agree, it's crazy. And the short answer is: no way!
    As you can see from the VirtualPC's system requirements, Windows95 cannot be used as a host OS. Virtual PC can be installed only on much more advanced operating systems: XP, Vista and 2003 Server. It's hard for me to believe that your "hardware spec for Win95 O/S" can hold any of these.
    If this is not enough, than consider the RAM issue: to run virtual machines you need to have all the RAM you allocated to the virtual machine as free RAM while the host runs. Do you? Hard to believe you have more than 128MB RAM on your computer. And even harder that upgrade to the required RAM amount is possible on such old computer...
    BTW, what in the world is
    hardware spec for Win95 O/S
    ?!? Can't you just give some info ??
    And another : I can somehow accept "latest" and "WinXP" in the same sentence (again, somehow), but Win2000? C'mon ...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Once I got past "fazdodah" , I think the OP wants to:
      Take an existing Win95 PC (physical)
      Virtualise it on some unknown but extant physical platform
      Upgrade the Win95 (virtual) machine to Win2000 or XP

Can multivits please confirm this is correct and tell us what the machine he will virtualise to is?
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Geee, Ossian...
        Now, that sounds completely different... And not such a crazy thought at all...
        Let's see what multivits has to say about it.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Thanks for your comments:

I mean by "hardware spec for win95 O/S"

The following hardware specification or "System requirements for installing Windows 95:
          Personal computer with a 386DX or higher processor (486 recommended)4 megabytes (MB) of memory (8 MB recommended)Typical hard disk space required to upgrade to Windows 95: 35-40 MB The actual requirement varies depending on the features you choose to install.Typical hard disk space required to install Windows 95 on a clean system: 50-55 MB The actual requirement varies depending on the features you choose to install.One 3.5-inch high-density floppy disk driveVGA or higher resolution (256-color SVGA recommended) "

The concept I am really trying to close off is can an old pc hardware be made to run newer and more resource hungry OS (Operating Systems) if it is done virtually.

Hope this clears up my question.

Cheers
          Multivits.
          Last edited by biggles77; 27th October 2008, 13:37. Reason: Increased size so i can read the post.

Comment

Now I'm really confused!

A virtual PC cannot pretend it is running on anything better than the physical hardware underneath it, so if you have a 486 with 32 Mb RAM (for example), that is all the virtual machines can see -- they wont think they are on a P4 with 2Gb RAM
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Your answer makes my previous post a viable reply. You cannot take a junk computer and run on it OS+applications that require a ten times more powerful hardware...

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

As I suspected, virtual PCs are not really virtual hardware at all.

So they are just managing the access to the hardware resources below them.

Hey "Junk Computer", look at it this way your computer, the one you think is the best, will also be junk one day, its all relative.

I empathize with the freaks that have to have the latest - fastest - newest and talked about gizmos.

I love to debunk that mindset and run the oldest clapped out "junk computers" that I can which still do what I need.

Thanks anyway, so no need to get all het up about virtual hardware eh!

Multivits

Comment

Working...
                X