Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to: RIS within two virtual machines in virtual network.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to: RIS within two virtual machines in virtual network.

Hi,
    I am using Microsoft Virtual PC 2007. In that I have created two virtual machines.
    The Host OS is Windows XP Pro.

Virtual Machine No.1:
    Windows server 2003
    which have one Network Adapter ("local only" in VPC settings of network adapter).
    I have configured a DC, DHCP and Active Directory on this machine.
    Also I have created XP pro setup's image from RIS setup.

Virtual Machine No.2:
    Will be a Windows XP Pro. machine, having one Network Adapter ("local only" in VPC settings of network adapter)

So is it possible to install XP pro on second virtual machine using the first configured Server 2k3 machine? and if yes what are the steps?

Thanks in advance.

Re: How to: RIS within two virtual machines in virtual network.

Its not called RIS anymore its WDS. Windows Deployment Services. Virtual machines can be configured to PXE boot. As long as the shell itself is there with the parameters set IE CPU memory its possible. You will need to install the WDS component first and then follow the guidelines in Technet. Just as additional note Vmware workstation has a "teaming" feature that allows machines within a specific "team" or subnet to start together. Im not sure if VirtualPC has this feature but it may be something to consider as it will make your dev enviroment more fluid.
    Last edited by scurlaruntings; 24th October 2008, 20:56.

Comment

Re: How to: RIS within two virtual machines in virtual network.

It is still called RIS if you haven't installed SP2. There is also RIS availability in a Legacy "format". (Sorry, can't think of the correct terminology at this point in time)
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
      X