X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problem file sharing with virtual fedora core 5 installation

hi all,

My 1st post so be kind

I've installed vpc 2007 on Windows XP Pro and then Fedora Core 5 within it, everything that I need to works fine apart from I haven't managed to file share between them. I've attempted to install the Virtual Machine Additions, procedure:
    Select "Action" from top menu, then Install or Update Virtual Machine Additions, then opening the file manager and double clicking the CD drive (where image of vmadditions13.820 lies), although after this point I seem to be stuck since I'm unsure what to do next? I can view three folders (dos, os2 and windows) plus the autorun.inf file. They each contain .exe files which don't run in Linux...

Any advice or instructions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: problem file sharing with virtual fedora core 5 installation

Kind? Kind ?!?!? What do you mean KIND ?!?!? Just kidding

Well, the VM Additions that come with VirtualPC 2007 are not intended for Linux.
    You'll find the answer in Virtual PC Guy's WebLog.
    Good luck. And let us know.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Ah, of course got you....thanks for the link.

I have now manged to download the file VMadditionsForLinux_32bit

I ran the file and said "repair" (other option was delete), although now rebooting virtual pc and telling to install still leaves the "windows" vmadditions image in the cdrom, rather than the linux stuff.

Any ideas how I can resolve this?

Comment

Originally posted by redshark313 View Post
        Any ideas how I can resolve this?
        Actually, one:
        If you did the default installation, you will find in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Virtual Server\Virtual Machine Additions a file called VMAdditionsForLinux.iso.
        In the virtual machine's menu, go to CD -> Capture ISO image and direct it to the beforementioned ISO file. That should do the trick

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Wonderful - it nearly worked a treat!

it failed the install since the additions are dependant on kernel 2.4.18-5, which I have now found, plan to burn to a CD and then install from virtual machine, then try again....more later.

Thanks for your support.

Comment

Well, I nearly said "Well done!"
            Go for it, and don't forget to update the forum with the outcome...

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

sorry it's been a while.

unfortunatley, I had problems with the kernel I had installed - it requested I installed a different version, which I never had time to find and I've since changed mu main OS, plus I have a friend who has been using v box, so when I next have time to do this I think I may take a different path.

having to put this to one side for now. hacked off I never completed the challenge!

Comment

Working...
              X