Virtual machine problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtual machine problem

Hi i have recently instaled a virtual machine onto mypc.. The onnly problem is that i cant get the internet working. I set up a virtual machine onto my computer before it was wiped and i was struggling to set up theinternet then. I use a Gigaset usb stick to connect to the wirless internet in my house. So i installed the cd on my last computer and it still didnt work however afterafew days it seemed to just start working.

any way has anybody got any tips for me to help me connect to the internet with my virtual machine. I have the xp on my computer and on my virtual machine. I use aa gigaset usb stick t oconect to the internet. My main computer is conected but i need to get it so that my virtual machine is conected too. thanks

Re: Virtual machine problem

Well, despite the fact you do not say what product do you use, I assume (GOD, forgive me!!) that you are using VirtualPC.
    If this is the case, than go to the virtual machine's settings and set the Network card to either NAT or to the physical NIC itself.
    The question is how do you get the IP address? Are they DHCP or fixed? Do you want that the host and the virtual machine to share the same IP address, or do you want them on two separate addresses?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
      Well, despite the fact you do not say what product do you use, I assume (GOD, forgive me!!) that you are using VirtualPC.
      If this is the case, than go to the virtual machine's settings and set the Network card to either NAT or to the physical NIC itself.
      The question is how do you get the IP address? Are they DHCP or fixed? Do you want that the host and the virtual machine to share the same IP address, or do you want them on two separate addresses?

Hi thanks for the quick reply. Yes i use virtual pc sorry i didnt put this infomation in the first post. I dont know wot you mean by are they DHCP or fixed?

Also is the ip adress just the internet adress ? If so it doesnt matter because i can just change the ip adress each time i unplug the cable?

I just want it to be like im using another pc to anybody or websites that i use. I think that i can change my ip manually by unpluging my conection for a while.

Comment

More questions:
        - what OS are you running on the host? What do you want to run on the VM(s)?
        - will you install both products on the same machine, or you need them on different machines?

I'm waiting for your answers.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
          More questions:
          - what OS are you running on the host? What do you want to run on the VM(s)?
          - will you install both products on the same machine, or you need them on different machines?

I'm waiting for your answers.

i am using windows xp on both vomputers. I want to use it instead of using my main pc mostly so that i dotn get any viruses on my computer and ruin it. I play alot of poker so i will probable have holdem manager and afew pokersites on the virtual machine. Thanks for your help so far. can you give ma a tip on how to get the internet working on my virtual machine?

Comment

Gee, dude, I'm sorry...
            I mixed up, I posted here a reply to another thread Apologies

For your issue:
            On your host, where did you get IP addresses from? Did you set it manually? Or is it set to receive manually?
            Set the virtual machine's Network Settings to the physical NIC and then:
            - if your IP in the host is set manually, then set the IP in the VM (virtual machine) manually too, with a different address, of course (one that does not exist in your network).
            - if your IP address in the host is automatically, then set the NIC in the VM to get an automatic address too.

Restart the machine and see if you get Internet access.
            Last edited by sorinso; 20th August 2008, 17:17. Reason: info added ...

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

hi sorry for the delayed reply i went on holiday and forgot that i had asked these questions becasue i had not needed my virtual machine.

you wrote

For your issue:
              On your host, where did you get IP addresses from? Did you set it manually? Or is it set to receive manually?
              Set the virtual machine's Network Settings to the physical NIC and then:
              - if your IP in the host is set manually, then set the IP in the VM (virtual machine) manually too, with a different address, of course (one that does not exist in your network).
              - if your IP address in the host is automatically, then set the NIC in the VM to get an automatic address too.

How do i find out if the ip adress is set manually or set to receive manually.
              Also how do i set the virtual machines network setting physical nic? thanks

Comment

Originally posted by pippa123 View Post
                How do i find out if the ip adress is set manually or set to receive manually.
                Also how do i set the virtual machines network setting physical nic? thanks
                Go to the properties of the NIC and see if it is set to receive address automaticaly or it has some specific IP...
                I did not understand your second question ...

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

HI wot is the nic? and where do i find it?

Comment

NIC stands for Network Interface Card... In other words, your network card...
                    You can find the properties by going to Control Panel -> Network...

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Working...
                    X