X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IIS and SQL Virtual Server

Hello.

New member here...

I have a server with 10x73GB disks and 2 raid controllers.
    I want to install a IIS 6.0 web and MS sql 2005 on this server.

The database is going to be no larger than 30GB.
    How do I deploy this set up as a virtual server (if possible).
    i.e how do i configure the RAID.

Re: IIS and SQL Virtual Server

Hi, sameeha01.
    You need to provide more info:
    - what server are we talking here? Manufacturer and model?
    - what CPU do you have?
    - how much RAM?
    - what OS is running on the server?
    - what RAID cards do you have?
    - why virtual machines?

Please provide the answers, as for now, I cannot tell you what to do...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Hi

The server is going to be a Windows 2003 R2 32 bit.
      The server is an X86 Intel model with 2 quad core Xeon processors and 6GB RAM.

I was thinking virtual machines as it seems to me the server is to highly spec'd for the purpose it is going to be used for. The application running on it is not 24x7, and the Database is not going to be bigger than 30GB.

Would I be right in deploying it as virtual machines??

Comment

More questions:
        - what OS are you running on the host? What do you want to run on the VM(s)?
        - will you install both products on the same machine, or you need them on different machines?

I'm waiting for your answers.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Hi

The host machine and VM machines will have Windows Server 2003 R2 32 bit
          The IIS app server and sql server needs to be on the same server.

Comment

If I was you, I wouldn't go virtual in this case, unless:
            - you want the server to be portable (to be easy to move from place to place);
            - you want a simple, cheap DRP solution;
            - you want to play with virtual environments.

From the licensing point of view, the picture is still not clear. Using Windows Server 2003 Standard allows you to install 1 (one) virtual machine running some sort of Windows operating system. Using the Enterprise version will allow you to run 4 (four) such machines without need to buy another license. So, which one do you use?
            Let's say you're going to install a virtual machine that will run IIS 6.0 and SQL Server 2005. I am trying to see how many resources you should give this virtual machine and it is pretty much looks like most of the RAM will go there. It is true that 8 cores it is pretty much for this server, but the RAM is on the edge. 4GB for the virtual machine will be pretty much minimum... SQL is a memory hog...
            Using Virtual Server 2005 you will not be able to allocate more than one core per virtual machine. The host will remain with the other 7 If you want more cores, either go to Windows Server 2008 and Hyper-V, or VMWare.
            Disk space also is not a concern...
            So, I wouldn't go virtual. But it's your call...

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Working...
            X