Virtual Windows ME

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtual Windows ME

I know you guys are laughing at this but I have a couple old programs installed 9 years ago on an old Windows ME system that I still use occasionally from back in days gone by when I worked in a law office. The legal and financial templates and forms they produce are still valid and they work like a charm. Ideally I would like to just install the old 20 gig hard drive on my dual core machine which is running XP Professional but I am guessing that won't work.

Can anyone offer some suggestions??

Thanks in advance

Re: Virtual Windows ME

YO, dude.
    Welcome to the forums. Don't forget to read the forum rules...
    Take a look at this thread that dealt with exactly the same problem. I think you have there all the answers...
    Last edited by sorinso; 27th July 2008, 18:53. Reason: typos ...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Thanks for your assist! I had attempted to upgrade ME to XP Pro but was never able to do this. Am I understanding correctly that this was how the example you provided was done?

I have Norton Ghost, should I make an image of the ME Disk and then install that virtually?

Comment

No, I meant you should install VMWare Server (free)on your PC and use it as virtualization solution.
        You can then use VMWare Converter (also free) to do a P2V conversion of the old ME to a virtual machine.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

I have been attempting to install the converter on the physical ME machine I want to run virtually. The installation "rolls back" when almost complete. What is the cause of this??

Thanks in advance

Comment

I think you're not in the right direction.
            What you should do:
            1) decide what computer will be your host. A list of supported operating systems that can act as host is listed here. You'll need to be sure that the machine has enough resources (CPU, memory and disk space) available to run both the host OS and the virtual machine. I cannot give you data at the moment, since I know nothing about the machine you choose.
            2) install on this machine both VMWare Server and VMWare Converter.
            3) using the VMWare Converter, create a virtual machine out of the existing ME computer. Notice that WindowsME is not something VMWare assures you it will work. But you won't know till you try

Good luck.
            Don't forget to update the forum with the result.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Once I had a problem with converting server to virtual using vmware.
              Then I used Acronis True Image, made images of my hdd drives. After that I installed VmWare converter on target host, converted true image files to vmware files and then imported them in VmWare server and everything worked perfectly.
              Only thing is you need to have latest version of VmWare converter

Comment

I loaded Norton GHOST v 10 on the machine I want to run virtually. It is a dual boot system with two hard drives, one running ME the other XPPro. I loaded GHOST into the XPPRO system and ghosted the other hard drive which independantly boots to Windows ME. I stored this GHOST Image on my main XPPRO system in another machine.

In this main system I followed the links you provided and installed the VMConverter 3.0.3, and I installed the VMServer from your link - the Binary executable.

After some trial and error the converter took the GHOSTED image and converted it to a *.vmdk file and a *.vmx file.

I then tried to load the file with the above mentioned VMServer but received a message that the Virtual Machine was configured with a more recent version and it errored out.

I then uninstalled that VMServer and installed the zip file version from the link you provided. This version does not recongnize any virtual machines in the directory where the GHOST Image was converted.

Anyone have any suggestions? I think I just need the correct version and/or process of VMServer.

Thanks in advance

Comment

To tell you the truth, I don't get it. I gave in my previous post the exact steps and actions you should follow. Instead, you involve Norton Ghost? And where was the dual boot issue till now ?
                  In your first post you say
                  I would like to just install the old 20 gig hard drive on my dual core machine which is running XP Professional
                  , now we're talking about a dual boot machine?
                  Please explain exactly what you have and what are you trying to achieve, otherwise it will be difficult for me to waste my time on this thread... The steps I gave you in my previous post are the right ones. But you need two machines for that: one with XP, that will be the host, and the old one, with ME, that will be converted.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Sincere Apologies.

My intentions were to install the old 20 gig hard drive virtually in my new machine running xppro.

The old machine with this 20 gig drive is a dual boot machine with 2 hard drives in it, the old 20 gig running ME and a newer 80 gig running xppro. Both machines are plugged into a router. I attempted to convert the 20 gig drive from the new machine where I loaded the VMware and could not get it converted. I then realized too that I only have a system restore disk from Gateway with ME on it so I thought "why not GHOST the image".

The 20 gig drive is fully bootable. I appreciate all the assistance, Very Much!

Comment

Cool.
                      I would put back the 20 gig HD in the old computer and boot into ME. Afterward, I would follow the steps in post #6. Is this acceptable from your point of view?
                      Can you afford a fresh new installation of ME and installation of the old application?

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

I will boot the old machine to the ME system and from the new machine again try to get the converter to work, converting the ME system on the old machine.

The reason I am attempting to get the ME system to run virtually is that I do not have the ability to install the old applications I want to keep, so getting the ME system to run the way it is is paramount.

Thanks again for your time and patience, I'll post back with results.

Comment

Cool.
                          Good luck. We're waiting for your results.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Finally back to the issue after moving daughter to college. I am fighting the simple home sharing network set up between the two machines in order to run converter on the ME machine. I am directing the converter wizard to physical machine - remote - entering the ip address. I think the problem is that I am not on a Domain, simply set up a full share of the C:\Drive on the ME machine. Wizard then wants to temp install the agent on the ME machine but gets a network access error.

Comment

Do you have same username with same password on both machines? Be sure the username you're running the converter from exist on the ME, with the same password.
                              Who has rights on the simple share on the C: drive in ME? (Gee, so long since I saw this OS, I don;t even remember how share are defined there.... ).

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Working...
                              X