Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot to pull bare metal image over to a Virtual PC...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot to pull bare metal image over to a Virtual PC...

We have a Windows 2000 machine that is on its last leg that I was able to throw Acronis True Image on and created an image of the hard drive.

I want to get this 9 year old machine off of the desk of our accountant because the ONLY thing it is used for is this old DOS program that the disks for have long disappeared. Unfortunately I can't get this old DOS program to work with XP Pro so I imaged the drive in hopes of restoring it to a Virtual PC using MS VPC.

All goes well as I do the restore, but upon reboot and startup (1st time after restoring) I get a blue screen of death indicating an issue with the boot device.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I am willing to buy software to do this if I have to. I just REALLY want to save this old "critical" (According to accounting...ARG!!!) machine before it bites the dust.

I think in the meantime I may try VMware. I seem to recall some tools in there that will let me do this.

Re: Hot to pull bare metal image over to a Virtual PC...

Well, it is highly probable that you will not be able to achieve want you want that simple...
    The server's hardware is very different from what VirtualPC emulates, and Windows2000 (Server? Professional? - you did not say) was not known as a very good Plug-and-Play OS.
    What I can suggest you is to boot the virtual machine from the relevant installation CD and to choose the upgrade install.
    If this won't work, you can try to use VMWare Server (free) and use VMWare Convert to do a P2V process.

Good luck.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
      Well, it is highly probable that you will not be able to achieve want you want that simple...
      The server's hardware is very different from what VirtualPC emulates, and Windows2000 (Server? Professional? - you did not say) was not known as a very good Plug-and-Play OS.
      What I can suggest you is to boot the virtual machine from the relevant installation CD and to choose the upgrade install.
      If this won't work, you can try to use VMWare Server (free) and use VMWare Convert to do a P2V process.

Good luck.
      Correct you are...I forgot to mention it was Win2K Pro SP4.

Comment

I am waiting to hear your opinion about the suggestions from the previous post...
        Last edited by sorinso; 14th July 2008, 17:43. Reason: typos

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
          I am waiting to hear your opinion about the suggestions from the previous post...
          I was not able to make Virtual PC work, but did download VmWare Converter and converted the machine in question. To be honest I am just trying to figure out the rest now. There are so many VmWare products that it is overwhelming.

I want to now take the image I created with VmWare Converter and use it, but I don't know what I need in order to "play" the VM I created.

Comment

I think this is the path you should follow ...

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Figured out Vmware on the fly. Made it work and oh how well it DOES work! Thanks God that old gateway machine can now be placed in the dumpster. The accountant was very impressed. I am too! It was free as well!

Thanks a ton!

Comment

Cool, dude!
                I am glad you solved your problem.
                One of the major advantages of virtualization is replacing vintage machines with archaic hardware or stubborn applications that refuse to work with anything else than 16-bit operating systems. So using VMWare for this is like the requested solution, because of the VMWare Converter, the P2V mechanism Microsoft solution lacks at the moment.
                Don't forget to back the machine up from time to time ... After all, it's only a matter of copying some files
                Good luck.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Working...
                X