Editing Ctrl Alt Delete message

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Editing Ctrl Alt Delete message

Does any one know how to edit the Ctrl Alt Delete message. I want to change it on our VPC's so that it says "Press Alt Gr - Delete to begin" instead of Crl - Alt - Delete. I can edit anything on this screen except this bit.

Re: Editing Ctrl Alt Delete message

I believe that this message is hard-coded. Surely it's just a matter of them pressing CTRL-ALT-DELETE a couple of times (all unknowing) before they find out their mistake?

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

I hope I did not misunderstand your question... Take a look at this nifty app: http://www.milnersolutions.com/logonloader/
      It's free and it sounds like it does the job (I did not try it, it was recomended by a friend some time ago).
      There are other, much more sofisticated ways to do that, but why?
      Good luck, and please let us know how it worked out.
      Added: don't forget that as much as the virtualized OS is concerned, it does receive Ctrl+Alt+Del keys... It's only VPC that translates it...
      BTW, you did not say what OS you have on the running virtual machine. The app is written for XP, no idea how (if?) it will act on server OSes ...
      Last edited by sorinso; 3rd July 2008, 21:00.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

We use these in training rooms and they do not realise what they have done and usually end up restarting the base machine. It does not matter how many times we try and tell them they still do it there excuse is usually that that is what it said to do on screen!

I tried using Logonloader but that just changes the welcome screen it also broke my test PC!

Comment

Look at the gina.dll method I mentioned in my previous post.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

Originally posted by alistair View Post
            We use these in training rooms and they do not realise what they have done and usually end up restarting the base machine. It does not matter how many times we try and tell them they still do it there excuse is usually that that is what it said to do on screen!

I tried using Logonloader but that just changes the welcome screen it also broke my test PC!
            With people who won't follow instructions, you'll find that a lot of them don't actually read what is on the screen anyway; they just do what they've always done. You can change the wording on the screen, stick bits of paper in front of the monitor, blank off the CTRL key, and bellow in their ear'oles - and they'll STILL press CTRL-ALT-DEL.

Sorry to say but this is the world of the desktop support engineer and the service desk agent - and no amount of telling will fix it.

Service Desk: "Yes, I'd like you to log off now; DON'T select 'Restart', select 'Log Off'."

Customer: "OK it's just restarting now..."

Service Desk: "SIGH"

Tom
            For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
              Look at the gina.dll method I mentioned in my previous post.
              I tried this and can change any of the wording except the "Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete to begin" message. This wording does not apear in the dll to enable me to edit it.

Comment

Looks like you'll have to stick to the cane solution: get a cane stick, and whenever one of the users will try to press Ctrl+Alt+Del, hit him
                Sorry, couldn't help it... I have no more ideas in my sleeve...

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Working...
                X