No announcement yet.

Host network connectivity lost after VPC install

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Host network connectivity lost after VPC install

I have successfully installed/used Virtual PC on a number of host computers in the past - however am having challenges making it work properly on one particular computer.

Host is running Windows XP Pro SP2. Immediately after installation of VPC, the Guest system(s) works perfectly.

However, the installation "breaks" the host's networking configuration - no local network or Internet access. Dropping to a command prompt in the host and running ipconfig produces a single line response of "Windows IP Configuration" - there is no sign of the network adapter name let alone any IP Address/DNS information.

As part of diagnosing this, I've attempted to uninstall the Virtual Machine Network Services (and reboot) but this does not resolve the issue. The host still has no network connectivity.

Also tried re-installing VPC (both 2004 and 2007 versions) - the problem remains.

The only way I have been able to "fix" the issue is by running an app I came across called WinsockxpFix.exe which makes a series of changes to the Winsock registry settings and Hosts file. Although this allows me to get back host network connectivity, it also stops guest network connectivity.

So, at the moment, I can only have the guest or the host connecting to the Internet - and I'd prefer both (as I have this on other computer/host systems that I have used in the past).

I have "snapshotted" the Registry before and after the installation of the Virtual Machine Network Services using RegShot, but there is a significant amount of information in the comparision and unfortunately it is beyond me to see if this contains information to assist me.

Would be very grateful if someone could suggest any ideas to assist in resolving this.

Re: Host network connectivity lost after VPC install

Strange issue, I don't know the answer myself but I'd love to hear about such an answer if you even find one.

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services