Windows 95 Installation Issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 95 Installation Issue

I am trying to install Windows 95 on Virtual PC 2007. I run Windows Vista OS.

I get all the way to the point where I would run setup but it doesn't work.

I did the whole fdisk and formatted c: and stuff, but when I should then be able to run setup, it gives me this error:

R:\>setup
    bad command or file name

I'm probably just missing something really simple or small but I have been wracking my brain for a couple hours and I just can't figure it out.

Any help would be VERY much appreciated!

Thanks!

Re: Windows 95 Installation Issue

Hi.
    What is the source of your Setup? Is that a legit Windows95 Installation disk?
    You should use such a disk (or kind of its image) to mount it in the virtual CD drive and boot from it.
    A screenshot of the virtual machine's settings will help...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Do you have the Boot Floppy Disc to start the process from or are you trying to run it from the CD only? (Or is that what you are refering to Sorin? )
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I am using a genuine Windows 95 installation CD (OEM version) and a .iso of the boot disk (Windows 95b) that I got from bootdisk.com.

It is booting up the beginning part of the setup just fine. It says starting windows 95... and then I go through the process of fdisk and partitions and formatting the drive.

Then, I put in R:\>setup and it gives me the error: bad command or file name.

Someone told me at one point that maybe I don't have my CD-ROM drive capture correctly... but I already have Windows XP installed on Virtual PC and it works fine and the install was quick and easy. I realize that Windows 95 is much more complicated even on a regular computer... but if I have Windows XP done, wouldn't that mean that my CD-ROM drive is already captured correctly???

I could definitely be wrong about that since i'm not 100% sure how that works.

Thanks helping me out!

Comment

What I would do is boot from the floppy disk, and when it gets to the prompt, run the DIR command and see what result I get.
          To see that the disk is correctly mounted in the VirtualPC, in the virtual machine's window click the CD menu. If you have the line Release ... available, then the CD is OK. If, however, you have the line(s) Use Physical Drive ... available, then the CD is not mounted (see the attached screenshot).
          Attached Files

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

hmmm... Well it seems that I have the .iso captured.... but I also have to option to use a physical drive. (see screen cap)

Also, I did the dir command for r: and that is the only one that worked. c: said that there was "no label for the volume" and it won't let me cd to any other drive.
            Attached Files

Comment

I think you mixed things up a bit here...
              The boot image should be the floppy disk, not the CD...
              Mount it into the floppy drive. For this, you need a specific type (VFD, IMG, IMA or DSK) and of exactly 720K or 1.4MB in size. There are a lot of tools and ways to convert ISO to IMG.
              After the floppy image is mounted, insert the installation CD into the E drive and set the CD to use it.
              This should solve the problem.

Good luck.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

My computer does not have a floppy drive. I have a DELL XPS 420 running Windows Vista. I tried using PowerISO but it won't convert the .iso because there is no floppy drive. Is there any way around this? or am I just going to have to go buy a floppy drive?

Thanks! This is really confusing. I've never had this much trouble before with anything.

Comment

I do not see why are you searching for the white flag already... We barely started checking the issue
                  First, you do not need to buy anything (oh, well, at least not a floppy drive ).
                  Second, I downloaded the boot95b.exe image from BootDisk.com also. I suggest you do the same (even if you already got it, let's start from scratch). Save it on the hard disk and with WinRAR (or other archiving application, I have WinRAR here), open it and extract the contents to another folder. You will be surprised to find inside a file called winb95b.IMA, exactly 1.4MB in size. When mounted in the virtual floppy, it does the job (see the attached screenshot).
                  I'm waiting for your response.
                  Attached Files

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

That worked perfectly!

Thank you so much for your help!

Comment

Cooooool!!
                      I'm glad you solved the issue ... Thank you for calling Petri.co.il Consulting Services

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Working...
                      X