Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is emulated sound *input* possible in a VPC, for recording audio via host's audio-in?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is emulated sound *input* possible in a VPC, for recording audio via host's audio-in?

Hello - I'm trying to do some consolidation of some encoders we use for webcasting. At the moment we have separate encoders for video and audio, duplicated for different formats. They run various encoding apps such as Windows Media Encoder.

The machines all have dual sound cards and resource usage is always below 20% so I thought it might be interesting to see if I could run a guest VM for audio encoding on one of the video encoding machines. I planned I could use the second sound card for audio input to the VM.

Of course, duplicating the video feed would be nice but I was skeptical about getting some kind of pass-through to work for the PCI capture cards. But just audio, I thought, would be ok.

But it seems that the SB16 emulated audio doesn't emulate audio-in, from any input.

Can the emulated card driver be changed for a more featured one? Or is this likely to be a non starter? I had the same problem in VMWare player too.

Any ideas much appreciated - thanks in advance

YLGP

Re: Is emulated sound *input* possible in a VPC, for recording audio via host's audio

I believe the sound, like the audio and BIOS are hardcoded into the software and can't be changed. The pay for version of VMWare however may be different but I would doubt it. Being able to install your own drivers onto a VM would sort of defeat part of the purpose of VM platforms.
    Last edited by biggles77; 31st May 2008, 18:47. Reason: Correct typo. Now it make sense.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Re: Is emulated sound *input* possible in a VPC, for recording audio via host's audio

Cheers - I think what you say is pretty definitive across VMs - would you agree? I don't want to enrage anyone by repeat posting in the VMWare section.

I tried the paid for version of VMWare, same thing. It's a damn shame!

Thanks for your quick response, much appreciated

Comment

Working...
      X