cannot change IP to static

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cannot change IP to static

I need to set static IP for a virtual XP Pro.
    Network properties doesn't show any connections. IPConfig shows - Local Are Connection (no #). I tried:
    netsh interface ip set address name="Local Area Connection" static 192.168.0.100 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.1 1

the message was something like:
    incorrect Local area connection.
    What should be done?
    Also I would like to declare dns.
    Thx.
    "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Re: cannot change IP to static

Is the virtual adapter connected? Try to remove it and re-create it.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Daniel,
      the device manager is empty too.
      You mean I have to delete network Virtual Adapter?
      Is it OK for MS Virtual (in VMWare all devices are shown)
      In general there is no network problem with this machine. It receives the address from DHCP.

Thx.
      Michael.
      "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Comment

First of all, what virtualization product are you using?
        Second, can you please post a screenshot of the configuration of this specific machine?

TIA.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

in attach you can see that device manager is empty
          network properties empy
          Ethernet adapter in VM settings is Broadcom. Actual machine adapter.

Is it normal for MS Virtual machine that device manager and Network properties are empty?
          Ipconfig shows Ip taken from dhcp and there is access to the Internet.

My initial question how to change IP to static?
          Thanks.
          Attached Files

Comment

Well, I could have answer that question, but it is irrelevant, I am afraid. The more important question is why is Device Manager empty? That may sound like a big problem, and as long it is not solved, the other things go to backstage.
            I never encountered this situation, but I did find some reports about it, when a specific key in the Registry is corrupted. Some are XP SP3 related.
            Take a look and see if it helps.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

Comment

No sp3.
              I have couple of XP that are basically the same
              (the same virtual disk). After first install I saw that device manager is empty. I though that it's normal for Virtual PC 2007. All the stuff works... At least from your answer I understand that it's not right.
              I found the topic how to change IP in registry.
              If it will not work I will install new XP and just in case will assign static that I need.
              Thanks.

Comment

You're looking for the key under the lamppost, IMHO. An empty Device Manager is not something that is "normal". And it's not relevant if it's VirtualPC or any other virtualization product. After all, it is a guest OS issue.
                You should find the solution to that, and then you'll be able to use the netsh command to set the static IP address.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Working...
                X