Virtual PC for using exercises?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtual PC for using exercises?

After passing my A+, my next unit's 70-271 i.e. the 1st Microsoft module.

Along with this MCSDT Training Kit, I've been sent Windows XP evaluation CD, so can use it to perform may exercises given after each chapter.

Although, I already use Windows XP Professional on my laptop, at the moment, I just wondered that as opposed to messing up with my own system, can I use Microsoft Virtual PC and install Windows XP on it and then perform the exercises? Is it possible and would I have the sort of experience on this "Virtual PC", as if it's a whole different system, with it's own registry, settings, etc.?

Is Virtual PC the best to use in here or is there any better alternative to it that could possibly be considered?

Re: Virtual PC for using exercises?

One of the main uses of virtualization products is for testing purposes. Depending on your laptop's computing resources (CPU, memory and disk space) you can even build a full domain in a virtual environment without access from the outside.
    Now, the question is between the different products available. I worked with both VirtualPC and VMWare server (the free version). They both have their advantages and disadvantages... In your case, when both the host and the guest OSes are Windows XP, I would go for VirtualPC ...
    And yes, the guest OS (the one you install in the virtual machine) it is entirely independent from the host (even it has some kind of own BIOS, not only Registry and all...)

Good luck.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

If you were going to perform exercises from a book on your personal computer, look into using System Restore to create a restore point before you begin the exercise.

Then, after you are finished, you can restore your system to the point in time before you began. And all the configurations you made are reversed.

With using a virtual computer, you'll need another separate license to use the guest Operating System.

Example, you are running Windows XP on your main computer, and then want to install Windows XP in virtual PC. You will need another license to use that Windows XP in the virtual PC.

Comment

Since the OP mentioned "XP evaluation", I think licensing is covered in this instance. Of course, after the 180 days (or whatever the XP version lasts for) it will be a whole new VM but, hey, one of the goals of MCDST is to be able to install the OS!
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by RR5 View Post
          If you were going to perform exercises from a book on your personal computer, look into using System Restore to create a restore point before you begin the exercise.
          I think this is the last option, if none of the virtualization products will work.
          Both VirtualPC and VMWare Server are free, easy to install and have no maintance... Installing an OS in a virtual machine can take some time, but once installed, it can be base for endless tests. Plus, you can built a whole environment inside, not only one machine.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

Working...
          X